Chapter 27

Third person pov

Things went on as normally as could be expected. Shikamaru trained with his team, and was pretty much gone the same hours as before he graduated. Arron and Trexx remained at home in the closet, Trexx struggling to squeeze himself into the small space with the girl. Arron would simply sit in his lap. She really hadn't said much. Certainly not as much as she'd said back when Shikamaru was still in the academy.

"I'm home!" Shikamaru called into the house, dropping his bag by the door and kicking off his shoes. Immediately, he heard the closet door open, and he could hear Arron scramble out. Shortly after, he heard Trexx grunt as he struggled to squeeze himself out of the frame. He really was way too big and way too tall for that closet, but he still forced himself to crawl in there nonetheless. Trexx, whoever or whatever he was, would do anything for Arron.

He went to greet the girl and Trexx, ignoring his mother's hello just as he did every day. Arron had grown on him, and he'd come to really enjoy her presence and company. They were friends. Maybe even best friends. The trust Arron put in him was absolutely amazing. The amount of faith she put in him was truly astounding, and Shikamaru found himself stunned at how much she looked to him for... well, everything.

"Hey, Arron." Shikamaru yawned as he came in. She stood idly by, watching him with her dark eyes. He stretched, opening his arms as he did so. Arron lit up considerably, moving in for a hug. Shikamaru chuckled at her as she hugged him like he'd just gotten back from some war.

"Hi." As per Inoichi's request, she was beginning to greet people. So far the only two people she'd greeted had been Shikamaru and Choji. She had adapted quite well and quite fast to the presence of the Akimichi. He could now come over and hang out for prolonged amounts of time without Arron freaking out. He thought Trexx was the coolest thing ever.

"Day?" She asked in her usual quiet tone. Her conversation skills were lacking, but it was alright. She was working on it, and that's what mattered.

"It was a drag, as usual. We weeded someone's garden again, and worked more on teamwork. The whole Ino-Shika-Cho thing is troublesome, but I guess we have no choice but to do it, you know?" He sighed. "How about you and Trexx?"

As she usually did, Arron shrugged. Not because she didn't want to talk, but rather because she really didn't know. She had no idea how her days were going really. They weren't good, or bad. She was still scared of essentially everything, but she was getting better. She was still terrified of both Shikaku and Yoshino, but she was coming around... sort of. She still clung to Shikamaru like she'd die if she didn't. The Nara wouldn't dare admit that he didn't actually mind her clingy nature.

"Trexx?" Shikamaru looked to the gargantuan beast, who was actually quite soft despite his large frame and intimidating appearance. The creature grunted, bobbing his head politely as if to say his day was alright. Shikamaru nodded back to show he'd gotten the message, and it seemed to make him happy. Trexx didn't like being treated like a monster made out of shadows, even if he low-key was one.

"My team is coming over for dinner this weekend. You don't have to meet them if you don't want to. I know Ino was curious about you. Choji will be there, and so will Asuma-sensei." Shikmaru informed as he plopped down on his bed. Arron quickly joined him, sitting a polite distance from her with her legs tightly pressed together and her hands in her lap. She was still wearing his clothes, but again, the Nara didn't really mind.

Arron seemed to perk up at Asuma's name. She always did, and Shikamaru couldn't for the life of him figure out why. Maybe it was the sound of the name, or she'd known someone with that name. He didn't know. He guessed it didn't matter. Maybe it would make her like Asuma more. His name, Shikamaru meant. Hopefully she didn't like him too too much though. Shikamaru was becoming almost as attached to Arron as she was to him.

"Want to go for a walk?" He asked her, looking down at her. Readily, the girl nodded, standing up. Shikamaru did too, a smile on his face. He liked this, and he didn't want it to change. Things were so simple and so nice.

He wished he could just stay in moments like these forever.