Questions

CHAPTER THREE: QUESTIONS

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

"One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team."

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

"Gather around."

Rin sat "indian"-style on the bench, watching as her grandfather spoke with the team. She had formally met everyone at the beginning of practice a couple of days ago. The 3rd years didn't seem to care much about anything but one did show a particular interest in her that made her slightly uncomfortable. Yamada Saruhiko was about Kuroo's height, with messy brown hair and ears that stuck out beyond belief - only adding to the humor in his name. When she shook his hand he held onto it a couple second longer than the others had, and he watched her closer than even Kenma did. He often came to her fist when he wanted water, and stood close to her when the team took a break. Needless to say, she wasn't exactly excited that someone she would see regularly made her uncomfortable with just his stare.

Though, a part of Rin thought she was just overreacting, considering meeting new people wasn't exactly her forte.

Speaking of people, no one was bothering her during class - well, no one besides the tall Volleyball Captain. Rin was glad, that no females or males approached her after the first day, and she's officially been at Nekoma for 4 days now. She had arrived to class early every day, and when she arrived at school she couldn't say she was too surprised with Kuroo leaning against her desk, usually flipping through his phone. He had pestered her for her phone number on her second day, she gave up fairly quickly - apparently Kuroo repeating "Rin-chan" over and over for at least 10 minutes was more than she could take.

After talking to Kenma the first night, they had agreed to take walks with each other regularly. And Rin found herself actually talking to him, she had to admit - Kenma was a good listener. Rin mentioned Volleyball very little, and the first year was good not to push the subject. She learned that him and Kuroo were childhood friends and that Kuroo was the reason that Kenma even played. When Kenma asked if Rin had any childhood friends she shrugged, telling the younger boy that her brother was the only friend she ever sought out as a child. Though, now that she thought about it, the only other person she still considered a friend was her brothers best friend - who goes Daisuke's rival college.

Rin slumped her shoulders in boredom as she heard Yasufumi continue to congratulate the teams progress, telling them to continue to their good work. It was really nothing Rin was interested in, at least, not up until she heard her name.

"Rin will be working with a few of you separately," Her grandfather explained, sending a closed eyed smile towards the younger Nekomata. Rin scowled in his direction, crossing her arms over her chest - but she made no objection, "Kuroo Tetsurou, Kozume Kenma, Yaku Morisuke and Yamamoto Taketora will start training separately tomorrow."

Rin sighed, happy that Saurhiko's name wasn't thrown in there. But just as she thought that, the boys voice met her ears.

"Why are they getting special training?"

Rin glanced over towards the group. From what she's seen, the rest of the team seemed to steer clear of Saurhiko - he was a good player. Not exceptional, but he was a good Wing Spiker. But he tended to snap fairly quickly at the others, often times spitting words of discouragement towards his own teammates.

"I believe Rin can help bring out their full potential," her grandfather explained aloofly, "They're second and first years, so I'll be seeing them next year - unlike you third years. Rin's knowledge on Volleyball exceeds what some managers may know, I believe she can help them."