Chapter 2 (Central Prison)

* * *

The massive, chilling central prison housed only the most wicked and ill inmates. Upon entering the lobby, I insisted on seeing my uncle. Permission was granted, and I happily embraced him, as he had been a father figure to me.

"Good morning, Uncle Vernon."

"Good morning, my dear. Have a seat."

We both sat down.

"So, tell me, you brought your student pass, meaning you're here for an assignment. What did they ask of you this time? To interview me? I'm all ears."

Uncertain of where to begin, I stared at him.

"Um, actually, I'm not here for you."

"Then who? One of the prisoners?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Well, that could pose a problem. I'm not supposed to allow it, but since you're my niece and I want you to excel, who would you like to interview among these individuals?"

Taking a deep breath, I dropped the bomb.

"Antonio. Antonio Caruso," I revealed, witnessing an immediate change in my uncle's expression. Disbelief filled his widened eyes, and he grew pale.

"Excuse me?" he asked, shocked.

"Uncle Vernon, please. I have to"

"Not happening, Donnica. No. Do you realize what you're asking of me?"

"Yes, Uncle. Please! Remember how you mentioned wanting me to achieve great things-"

"I take back what I said. Antonio Caruso? No, no, no."

"Uncle Vernon, I'm begging you..."

"I have already said no!" he declared firmly. "Pick someone else."

Persistently, I pleaded with him, refusing to leave his office until he granted me the chance to see and speak with Antonio. Eventually, my persistence paid off, and my uncle relented.

"Fine. Riggs! Tom! Come in here, please!" he called, and two armed guards entered.

"Yes, sir."

"Prepare Caruso. She wants to interview him."

The guards appeared astonished.

"B-but, sir-"

"Do as I say. Get the chains or whatever."

'Chains??'

The prison guards simply nodded and turned to leave.

"Wait, let me accompany you," I insisted, rising from my seat. My uncle glanced at me. "I want to see his cell and provide a description for my article."

"I can't believe I'm allowing this. You'll have five minutes with him," my uncle reluctantly concluded before permitting me to follow the guards.

~

I was led to the area where the cells were located. As we walked through the corridor, I saw menacing-looking men. Some shouted suggestive remarks from their cells.

"Honey, paying me a visit?" one taunted, provoking laughter from the others. Some even attempted to provoke the officers.

The majority were far from attractive, sporting shaved heads, bulging muscles, and tattoos and piercings adorning their bodies. They frightened me, and my mind conjured up images of the crimes they must have committed based on their appearance.