Chapter 3 (Caruso)

* * *

"Good morning, Mr. Caruso."

He did not reply. He just stared at me, as emotionless and silent as ever. His expression was vague, looking straight into my eyes without being bothered by the bright light.

Nervously, I dropped my gaze to the table but knew I had to continue.

"Um, okay. I'm Donnica Smith, a student at Kingston University. I'm here to interview you."

'Maybe I shouldn't have revealed where I study or my name? Oh shit. But he's locked up, so it shouldn't matter.'

I glanced at him, but he still didn't reply or react.

His silence both terrified and annoyed me. Time was running out.

"Mr. Caruso," I pressed on. "I've been hearing rumors lately, like the fact that you're Italian. Is it true?" I asked the obvious, yet he remained unresponsive.

His impassive, intimidating silence was getting to me. I was losing patience. I had limited time with him, and his lack of cooperation frustrated me.

"Mr. Caruso, interviews require participation from both sides," I mustered the courage to say, though inside, I already regretted my outburst.

Antonio shifted slightly, intensifying the knot in my stomach.

'I should apologize...'

Just as I was about to apologize, he smirked, barely noticeable.

'What's going on?'

Antonio leaned closer, placing his chained hands on the table, causing me to instinctively lean back into my chair. I was too scared of him.

What was he about to do?

'Something feels off. I should leave.'

Just as I was about to call the guard, Antonio Caruso finally spoke his first words.

"Yes, I am Italian," he replied in a low voice.

Confusion washed over me, and I blinked a few times. His voice matched his appearance, but it still surprised me. Smooth and velvety, if it made any sense. It had a gentle quality to it. And it made me wonder if this man had truly committed all those crimes.

But who was I kidding? He was sick.

"Do you like it?" He proceeded to ask to my surprise.

"Like what?"

"Italy?"

"Yes. I'd like to visit Tuscany someday."

He nodded in silence and I avoided his captivating eyes.

"Okay," I continued, reaching for my notebook. "And how old are you, sir?" I asked, avoiding eye contact.

His eyes held darkness and yet, they were the most captivating pair I had ever seen.

"Because there's a misconception about your age. People believe you're around fifty or so. Clearly, that's not the case. So please, enlighten me," I continued.