Prologue

PROLOGUEGOODBYES

PROLOGUE
GOODBYES

❖❖❖

Families are complicated.

Especially those that have been around for over a millennia. Not ageing and refusing to change.

More precisely, the Mikaelson family. Or even more widely known as, the original Vampire family.

They were either feared, respected or beloved by those who were under their protection.

Having created more havoc than good in the world certainly didn't give them a good reputation. But what could they do? They were simply protecting one another. Even if others didn't see it that way.

Being related to them wasn't a blessing. Knowing how much hurt they've brought upon the world made Erik ashamed of his own family at times - more often than he would like to admit.
But it wasn't a curse either. The Mikaelsons loved their family like no one else in the world.

When they loved, they loved hard. Maybe too hard at times. Maybe its even a flaw of theirs, to not know the bounds of how much they can love someone.

But if his mother taught him anything, it was to love. To accept everyone and to treat them with a kind heart. Because no matter how he turned out, she could not stand the thought of him becoming a ruthless monster like her or the rest of her family.

And so he did.

He loved. Everyone and anyone. No matter who they were, he remained the kind and thoughtful person she taught him to be.

So when his uncle decided to cause havoc in none other than Mystic Falls, he knew what he had to do. To avoid his manipulation and becoming like him. Like them.

He moved. Off to start a life separate from his family.

Setting the last box in his small apartment on the kitchen table, he sighed. His lips were curled upwards, his eyes holding nothing but excitement as he prepared to start a new chapter in his life.

"Have you decided what course you will be taking yet?" His mother's voice caused him to nod, a toothy grin making its way onto his face.

"I will be taking two, actually," he announced, causing his mother to look back at him in surprise, "Music and Psychology. Could become a music therapist or something, I don't know," he shrugged, looking down at the wooden floor in his apartment.

Feeling his mother's hand on his shoulder, he looked back up, their eyes locking together.

She smiled, a proud look in her eyes, "That sounds perfect, sweetheart," she told him, lifting her hand up to ruffle his hair, "just don't overwork yourself."

He grumbled, moving his head away from her touch and rolling his eyes when he heard her laugh at the action.

"Will you be staying here, with me?" He questioned, tilting his head as he began unpacking the cardboard box.

She let out a soft exhale, an apologetic smile tugging at her lips, "Unfortunately no. Your uncle needs me back in Mystic Falls. Something about Silas, not entire sure what he is, but Kol seems to be rather shaken up whenever he hears his name. I can already tell it's going to create issues between Klaus and the rest of your uncles and aunt so I'd rather go back."

She cupped his cheeks and smushed them with her hands, smiling at the look on his face.

"But if you need anything, or feel lonely," she sighed, "Please do call me."

Erik nodded, his arms wrapping around his mother, "Be careful."

She laughed, ruffling his hair one more time as she pulled away from his tight hold, "I'm Astrid Mikaelson. I assure you, nothing bad will happen to me... or the rest of my siblings for that matter."

"Yeah, yeah," Erik waved her off, already used to hearing her say this. Of her reminding him that in the eyes of the supernatural world, she was practically invincible.

"Oh, and Erik, remember what I always tell you," she moved towards the door, holding it ajar as she spoke, "Don't tell anyone who you really are unless absolutely necessary. Or-"

"Or if I'm certain I can trust them 100%," he finished her sentence, "Yes, mum, I know. It's why I have a fake ID, remember?" He waved the piece of plastic in front of him.

"I love you," she told him for what felt like the millionth time.

And as always, he replied, "I love you, too."

For the first time in his life, he shared goodbyes with his mother. And nothing could have prepared him for everything that was about to unfold in his new-found, solitary life.

❖❖❖

Thank you for reading!