-chapter fifteen-

kenzie's pov

"You know Johnny's friend Mark?" I ask Lauren, as we're cuddled up on the sofa, watching Vampire Diaries together on Lauren's laptop.

She pauses for a second, not answering right away. "Um, yeah, I think so."

"Did I tell you that I bumped into him earlier this week? He gave me his number, and we've been texting a lot."

Lauren pauses the episode. "Wait, what?"

"Yeah! He's really cute, Laur. How could I resist?"

"Um...I mean, I guess he is...but he drinks and stuff. He wouldn't be a good guy for you."

I laugh. "Lauren, doesn't everyone drink? Besides, have you even met him before?"

"N-oo...but I've heard about him from Johnny."

"It's fine, Laur. He hasn't been 'bad' yet. If he tries anything, I'll stop talking to him. And I trust him cuz he's Johnny's friend." My phone buzzes. Not surprisingly, it's Mark.

Lauren shakes her head at me. "I don't like him. But if you're just friends for now...I guess it's okay."

johnny's pov

"That was a great audition last night, John." Lauren's manager, Kyle says. I nod, tiredly.

"Thanks."

"How did you feel?"

I shrug. "Okay, I guess." I'm starting to be more open to the idea of acting. Last night I had an audition for a commercial, and I liked how it went.

"Well, I've got some good news for you..."

My head jerks up. "What??"

"You got the role! Congratulations." Kyle gives me a friendly slap on the back, and for the first time, even though I don't like him, I don't mind.

"Thanks!" I take a deep breath. "I've got to tell my family now. That's super exciting."

"What did I tell you?" He laughs rambunctiously. "I landed you a job in less than a week!"

Once I got home, I told my family. They were super excited for me. Kenzie was over, but she wasn't too talkative today, texting someone.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask, coming up behind her as she's sitting on the kitchen stool.

"Mark." She replies matter-of-factly.

I freeze. I feel like I just got punched in the stomach. "Who?"

"Your friend, Mark, the one who was over at your house the other day, when I came over."

I stay silent, and then cross the kitchen to get a glass of water. "So...how did you start talking to him?"

"We bumped into each other on my way to a callback. He gave me his number, and we've been talking."

"Oh." I can't think of anything else to say. I'm startled. And annoyed, upset, concerned...

"He's your friend, right?" Mackenzie asks, finally looking up at me.

"Mhmm." Taking a sip of water, I sit down on a stool across from her. What reason do I have to tell Kenzie that she should stay away from him? That I like her? Which I don't even know if I do, yet. She trusts Mark because he's my friend. I don't really trust Mark, but I don't have much reason, or any that I could explain. In my own words, I told Mom, "He's a good guy."

I grab my cup and stand up. "See you later, Kenz. 'Night." I look over at her. She's smiling at her phone, probably at something that Mark said. Then she looks up.

"Oh, sorry. Yeah, see you later."

As I trudge back up to my room, my mind is in turmoil. I don't know what to think. Of course she doesn't like him, I tell myself. But somehow, I can't convince myself of that.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-