Chapter Fifty-Six: Watch the World Burn Red

Tasha's POV

I took a small sip of the water Connor had gotten me, my body finally still after what felt like hours of convulsing. Neither of us had spoken a word to each other. I could feel Connor's emotions radiating off of him which were causing me more stress.

 I could feel Connor's emotions radiating off of him which were causing me more stress

"What happened back there?"

I was silent for a moment as I looked up from my glass, my eyes looking at his chest — unable to find the courage to look into his eyes.

"I... I don't know. Gavin — kept pushing me and I — I snapped!"

"Why didn't you come get me? You know how much I don't like Gavin being with you — even before I was deviant."

"I — Connor, I just didn't want to be a burden."

Connor scoffed, "A burden?! Really?!"

In that moment I felt my heart drop.

"Connor — please, you're scaring me."

"It's because I already carry the burden of being the reason you died!" Connor snapped.

"But I—"

Never before had Connor been so upset with me — anger was an emotion Connor never conveyed towards me.

"I understand that you say it's not my fault, but no matter what you say it doesn't change that it never goes away. It always creeps back like an never ending alarm I can't seem to stop."

I felt anger swell in my chest, my defence mechanisms kicking in. "It's not like I asked you to burden yourself upon it, Connor."

"You don't have to even tell me! Before you became a hybrid I knew when you were scared, stressed — everything. The ability of knowing what you felt every moment was a blessing and a curse. But now —"

"I never asked you to keep watch over my emotions, Connor! I didn't ask for any of this! I never demanded you to babysit me. You're supposed to be my partner!"

"I may be your partner. What about Hank? He's trying too. He's practically your fath—"

"Don't you fucking dare." I growled, my voice low as I glared at him. "Don't bring him into this or my p-parents! You don't know what it's like to lose everything!"

"I lost you!" Connor yelled.

"I'm right here!"

"You died that day!"