Chapter Fifty-Seven: Decode

What have I done?

Connor stood silently as he watched Tasha sit on the couch, flipping through television channels like everything was normal.

Nothing is normal.

Tasha was almost robotic now — her movements were those like androids had originally been.

Precise and accurate.

Connor reached for her phone, dialing Hank.

"Connor, now's really —"

"It's about Tasha... How fast can you get here?"

"Is she alright?"

"It's... it's best if I explain when you arrive."

"I'm on my way."

As Connor hung up the phone, Tasha let out a chuckle.

"I'm surprised it took you that long to call Hank, Connor. Being a deviant has made your reaction speed slow."

Tasha's voice held an even tone, neither happy nor sad just... dead.

She turned to look at him, a small smirk on her face.

"Careful, your emotions are showing."

•••

Connor waited anxiously for Hank to arrive. His mind was going haywire trying to comprehend what was going on. Tasha seemed so calm — no, not calm... Just empty.

Connor felt a small bit of relief when he saw hanks car pull up, the older man walking into the house with a confused look on his face when he saw Tasha on the couch watching tv.

"She looks okay to me."

Connor grabbed onto Hank's arm, pulling him as gently as he could muster into the dining room.

"Tasha is not herself."

"So she's a little stressed out... I don't blame her."

Connor sighed in frustration. "Tasha turned off her emotions, Hank!"

Hank looked at Connor with a dumbfound expression. "What the hell are you talking about, Connor?"

"Tasha — after what happened with Gavin, I thought that I could get her to listen by being more... confrontational but it just made matters worse... She broke down and shut off her emotions."

"How is that even possible?"

"I've no idea." Connor said, smoothing out his disheveled hair. "I... Hank, I did this to her."

"Look, let me try talking to her."

Connor simply nodded as Hank trudged into the living room, sitting across from Tasha.

"Hey Kiddo."

There was no response as Tasha's eyes stayed attached to the television screen.

Hank moved until he was in Tasha's view, "Kiddo, talk to me."

"Old man, I'm trying to watch this shitty documentary about androids." Tasha rolled her eyes.

"Tasha —"

"Shouldn't you be at the bar Hank? That is what you're good at." Tasha yawned, shifting in her seat so she could see the TV.

Hank then dug through his jacket pocket, pulling out a folded paper. He held out a photo to her, one of when she was younger and she was standing with Cole.

"Do you remember this?"

"Yes, Hank. I remember."

"Who is he?"