8- The Mill Fire

The days passed, and Frollo hadn't given up on his quest to find Esmeralda. Hiding a gyspy in your home was now illegal, punishable by death.
The reward for Esmeralda's capture had gone up to 30 pieces of silver, as Frollo became desperate.
Everytime Layla and Esmeralda left the safety of the underground, they covered their bodies and faces with cloaks.
One evening, Layla had gone to the Miller's home, to buy grain. He was a kind man, with two young children, who was always sympathetic towards gypsies. While Esmeralda fetched water from the river.
They planned to meet up over the hill from the windmill, but when Layla didn't turn up, Esmeralda knew something was wrong.

"Come in quickly" ushered the Miller, as Layla entered the windmill.
"Thank you for seeing me. I've brought 3 pieces of silver, for your grain" explained Layla.
The Miller hurried over to his table, and fetched three small bags of grain. He then brought them over to Layla, in exchange for the money.
"Here you go. Be careful on your way out. Frollo's men are everywhere"
"I'll be careful. Thank you".
Layla turned and headed towards the door, she checked outside to see if the coast was clear. She was about to leave, when she saw a light appear on the horizan. Frollo led the way, and was accompanied by several soldiers, including Phoebus.

"Frollo's here. Have you got anywhere I can hide?" Asked Layla.
The Miller pointed to the top of the windmill.
"Up there. Quickly" he ordered.
Layla ran up the steps and began to look for somewhere to hide. A large box of grain sat in the corner of the room, Layla ran towards it, and jumped in. Making sure that she was covered.
It was hard to breath, but she knew it was the safest place she could be.

Layla heard the front door swing open, and she listened to the sound of footsteps making their way up the steps towards her.
She began to massage her wrist, which she did when she nervous, and realised that her good luck bracelet was missing.
The footsteps got closer, and Layla began to pray to all the gods that they wouldn't find her.
After a few minutes, the footsteps began to get further away. When Layla thought it was safe, she poked her head out of the box and took a deep breath. She looked down the gaps in the floorboards, at the room below, and saw Frollo standing in front of the Miller and his family.
He was holding a golden bracelet in his hand, and Layla wanted to punch herself, when she realised it was hers.

"This gypsy talisman was found on your property. Can you explain that?" Questioned Frollo.
"Our home is always open to the weary traveller. Have mercy my lord" explained the Miller, dropping to his knees.
"I'm placing you and your family under house arrest until we get to the bottom of this. If you are innocent, then you have nothing to hide"
"But we are innocent. I assure you. We know nothing of these gyspies".
Frollo turned and slammed the door shut behind him. He then placed a spear accross the top, stopping it from opening.
Layla climbed out of the box, shaking all the grains off her body. She then walked quietly to the window, to wait for Frollo to leave.

Frollo took a torch from one of his soldiers, and handed it to Phoebus.
"Now. Burn it" he ordered.
"What?" Questioned Phoebus.
"These people are traitors, and must be made an example of. Burn it"
"With respect sir, I was not trained to murder the innocent"
"But you were trained to follow orders".
Phoebus looked at the torch in his hand and up at the mill. He then took a step away from Frollo, and placed the torch into a barrel of water, extinguising the flames.
"Insolent traitor" spat Frollo.
He took a torch from a different man, and raised it to the straw roof, setting the house and windmill on fire.

The small crowd that had gathered a few metres away gasped, and took a step back. Esmeralda was among them.
"He's never hurt anyone before" blurted one man.
"Frollo's gone mad" admitted another.
Esmeralda wasn't looking at Frollo. She was staring up at the window on the top floor, and saw Layla looking down at her.