Chapter Four {I Think}

Why would he say yes? I mean. Yeah okay dad didn't really pose it as a question. But he still could have said no.

I laid awake in bed thinking about much awkward it was going to be. Having my ex best friend across from me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon trying to teach me a subject him and I both knew was going to get nowhere. I didn't have my moms knacked for French. I don't know what was so hard about that to understand. Words in English confused me. Let alone in another language. I was only skimming by in every other subjects. The only class I excelled in was Gym and Art. But I refused to take art as an elective because hockey was more important.

Why did Henry and I stop being friends? I didn't want to remember. I know we grew apart. One day we were swimming in his pool, enjoying the peace of his empty house. Not having to worry about school or sports.

And then it was like the next day he wouldn't return my texts. Avoided me in school. It didn't hit me right away what was happening. But soon he had new friends, and I had hockey and the boys on my team.

Back then it hurt. Thinking about it now, I didn't take the rejection as well as I should have. I got angry, I got mean. I didn't stop Brody or Liam from making fun of him, picking at him. Because I was bitter. He was my best friend. But I guess I wasn't his.

So why would he say yes? Why, after all this time would he agree to be with me for an hour every other day if our friendship didn't mean as much to him as it did to me.

I wanted to ask him the next day at school, but our sessions wouldn't start until next week so it being Friday didn't mean much on the grounds of seeing him.

In a normal week I'd run into Henry maybe twice in the halls at the start of the day or during lunch. But besides that he was like a ghost who hid between book shelves in the library. He had a small circle. I'd only ever seen him with two other people and that was only when he was in the lunch room.

But then I thought about and like. Why the fuck do I care? He wasn't my friend he was just going to get me a passing mark in French. There was no friendship there anymore.

And I was okay with that.

I think.