12- Prisoners

"Nor would I!" Announced Frollo loudly.
Everyone turned to the enterance of the hall, and saw Frollo enter, with hundreds of men. The gypsies tried to run, but the soliders had blocked every route. They were trapped.
Esmeralda pushed Layla behind her, and Phoebus stood beside her defensively. One soldier grabbed hold of Djali, stopping him running to Esmeralda's aid.
In moments they were surrounded.
"Finally. After 20 years of searching, The Court of Miracles is finally mine" continued Frollo smuggly.
He approached Quasimodo, who stood in front of the group, and patted his deformed shoulder.
"My dear Quasimodo. I knew that one day, you would be of use to me" he mocked.
"No" murmered Quasi.

"What to you mean?" Asked Esmeralda.
Frollo stepped around Quasi and faced Esmeralda. He felt braver now, since Esmeralda was being restrained by two soldiers.
"Why my dear. He led me straight to you" explained Frollo gleefully.
"You're a liar" she spat back.
"Ah. And look what else I've caught in my net. Captain Phoebus, returned from the dead. Another miracle no less, I shall remedy that" he boasted.
"And what have we here?" He quizzed, looking at Layla, who was sticking close to Esmeralda's side.
"A witch in training I see. How adorable. Maybe when we kill the witch, your soul will be saved. If not..." he chuckled.

"There will be a little bonfire in the square tomorrow, and you're all invited" announced Frollo, stepping into the centre of the room, and addressing all the gypsies.
"Lock them up" he ordered.
The soldiers began pulling the gypsies from their families, and out of the catacombs. They tried to fight back, but were vastly outnumbered.
Layla fought the guard that held her, trying to reach Phoebus and Esmeralda, who were being dragged in the opposite direction.
"Esmeralda!" Screamed Layla desperately.
Esmeralda turned to face her, but there was little she could do, as she was pulled away. When that failed, Layla turned to Quasi, and began to shout at him, as she was pulled away.
"Quasi! Quasimodo!"

Quasimodo dropped to his feet, and grabbed hold of his Frollo's robes.
"Please master. I beg you" he spluttered.
Frollo stared down at him angrily, and Quasi released him.
He then began to sob to himself, as he lowered his face to the floor.
"Take him back to the bell tower. And make sure that he stays there" demanded Frollo.
Two guards stepped forward and began dragging Quasi accross the floor, as he had no strength left to stand.

"Justice in Paris was often displayed in the square at Notre Dame.
Now as the wood for a pyre was laid in the square at Notre Dame.
There came those who sought entertainment, and some who wished all gypsies harm.
For the rumour was growing, a gypsy was going to burn...
At dawn, at Notre Dame".

*******

The song at the end was from the musical The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the song is called- Justice in Paris.