Safety

Mabel tried not to tap her foot incessantly as she waited for the pizza place to call out her order. She was on her ways to a girls' night with Lucy and Kellan, and her two friends had asked (demanded) that Mabel stop by one of their local pizzerias to get some—according to Lucy—"Better than Sex Pizza." Mabel wasn't sure if she'd use those exact words, but Ro's Pizzeria certainly did an excellent job on their alfredo sauce.

"Ah, hello, Mabel!"

Recognizing her boss's voice, Mabel spun around to face him, "Hey, Herman! What are you up to?" She'd left the store around an hour ago, but he'd still been in his office when she'd flipped the sign to 'Closed' and retreated to her car.

Herman chuckled heartily. "Just finished up some paperwork and decided I would treat myself to a reward." He winked and patted his stomach for emphasis, causing Mabel to grin.

She didn't have any uncles, of course, but—if she did—she imagined they'd be like Herman, with his funky ties, messy hair, and laid-back personality. His easygoing ways were almost enough to distract her from the fact this his soul was apparently growing dark.

Sobering at the thought, Mabel tried to remain at ease. Aleron hadn't mentioned anything about Herman's soul lately, so at least it hadn't gotten worse, right?

Something in her gut told her the opposite.

Mabel was saved from having to make an awkward excuse when the teenager behind the counter called out her order. "That's me," she told Herman, hoping her weak smile didn't look too much like a grimace, "I'll see you tomorrow afternoon?"

He nodded in confirmation. "Yes, indeed. Enjoy your dinner, Mabel."

"Thanks!" she called over her shoulder, shooting him a wave as she moved to the counter, "You too."

***

Several days later, Mabel cursed under her breath when she dropped the small paper bag holding the Smith family's order of cumin, coriander, and thyme. Plucking it up and ensuring none of the containers were damaged, she set the bag on the counter and wiped her hands on her apron; twisting around to get a label, she squeaked at the sight of Aleron standing directly behind her.

"Geez," she placed a hand over her heart. "You scared me, Al."

Ignoring the nickname she'd given him about a week ago, Aleron placed a hand on her shoulder, the somber look on his face scaring her. Thoughts flashing to Herman, who had just left for an impromptu "vacation," Mabel felt her heart drop. "What is it?" She croaked, "Is it Herman? Oh, God, it is, isn't it?"

Aleron tried for a reassuring smile, but it fell flat. "No, Little One, you need not worry about Herman." They both ignored the "not yet," that hung in the air. "I am leaving."

"Oh?" Mabel straightened, trying to ignore the clenching of unease in her stomach. "When? Where are you going?"

He blew out a resigned breath. "I have been called back down to Hell. I will not be long, but I must deliver the souls I have collected and speak with Death."

Mabel quirked a brow with intrigue. "Death? I'm guessing he's the real Death? And here I thought you worked for the devil." She chuckled at her own joke, but the smile died on her face when Aleron remained stoic.

"Of course I do not answer to the devil—he is a bastard." Mabel blinked, stunned. "I answer to Death, and that is all."

"Well," she cleared her throat. "Alright. But you won't be gone too long, right?" She wasn't sure what it was, exactly, but she grew nervous at the thought of him being away. She had come to rely on his security, and she hadn't thought about what would happen if he wasn't watching over her.