Chapter Thirty-One: Killer

The darkness of the night beckoned her like a lover as she moved out into the evening.   She'd never been good in the dark before, but now it was her natural environment.  She stopped, momentarily distracted by the visions around her.    Beauty shone in the soft moonlight, even that too bright for her hyper-focused  eyes.    She saw things she'd never seen before, heard sounds of cars miles away, the flutter of a bat's wings in the trees overhead.

Then her attention shifted again, shifted to the warm smell nearby, the sound of laughter ringing harshly through the air.   She was scarcely aware of Gareth beside her, but his every instinct, every sense, was on her.    He knew that the terrible burning hunger, the thirst would soon drown out everything in her mind.  How would she kill, he wondered, watching her tense and relax, eyes searching the forest.   Would she be savage and brutal or tender and patient?    His dark eyes widened at the thought.   Here was his true moment of glory, when after hundreds of years roaming the world alone, his newborn mate would be bound to him forever. 

Quietly, so as not to upset her he stepped out into the night, motioned with his hand for her to follow.  "There is a place near to here where we can feed undetected."  

Brianna stood still, pulling her gaze away from the trees.   Musically she laughed, and looked at Gareth with smoldering eyes.  "Undetected?  Why should I care if I'm detected or not.  Thanks to you I'm immortal aren't I?"  her words played across the space between them, a taunting lilt to them.  

He saw the naked challenge in her eyes, he chose to restrain his immediate response.  The desire for this new vampire swamped him, nearly bringing him to his knees.  Was this one of her new powers? he thought, eyes wary.   So many different gifts were bestowed upon newborns, some were temporary, some permanent.  There was a definite charm about her, a pull that no man would be able to resist.   He saw clearly, in that moment, just what kind of monster he had created.    The smile that curved his lips showed his fangs.  She was glorious!  

Her quick frown had him pulled to her question and he replied, " Brianna, dearest one, we must remain hidden in our world.  While in many ways we are ageless we are not fully immortal.   Direct sunlight would destroy us.   Being found during the day we would be helpless.  It is better to remain secretive, at least, for now." 

Her slight nod of agreement relieved him, at least temporarily.   It was then the wind changed and Brianna's focus sharply returned to the savage burn in her throat.   The smell of warm blood, from miles away pulled the lips back from her fangs and they glittered in the moonlight.   With no notice she leaped forward, flying into the forest, intent on her goal.    Gareth followed, finding he had to move at top speed to keep up with her.   Her slim legs flew and she blew through the trees, passing them faster and faster.  

Across dark roads and into deep valleys she ran, following the scent that had her eyes wide with hunger.    Several minutes past and she stopped abruptly, close to a small yellow pup tent in the woods.  In the dark shadows she blinked at the sharp light of the fire around which three young men sat.   While uncomfortable, the light wasn't hurting her, and she stepped from the trees, a smile on her beautiful porcelain face. 

Gareth stayed in the treeline, watching  transfixed as the men noticed her.   One of them dropped the beer he was bringing to his lips so startled by the beauty of the woman before them.   He was amused as he saw them leap to their feet, exclaiming to her.   He saw the dead flatness of her eyes as she slowly walked towards the group.  How she was controlling her blood lust he would never understand, but he himself was entranced. 

Brianna walked on her pencil thin heels, her gown swirling around her.  Eyes upon the man who'd dropped his beer she said softly, "I'm so sorry, I've been lost in the woods for hours. I didn't mean to startle you."   

The three stumbled over themselves to be near to her.   Her siren charm lulled them, dulled them and removed the warning bells that humans inherently possess in times of mortal danger.   The first one dropped to the ground as she fell over him, the other two standing dumbly to watch, ensnared in her clinging charm.  

  Her sharp fangs pierced her very first neck, and hot, wet blood ran  into her mouth.  With a cry she drank, reveled in the taste, the heat and the feeling of his life flowing from him into her.    She latched onto him , crushing him carelessly to her as she drank, his feeble cries and attempts to free himself beyond her conscious thoughts.  She drained him and filled herself, feeling the warmth inside and the dulling of the burning ache.   

Moments later she rose from his lifeless form, only a small drop of scarlet on her lip.    She turned to the other two, then looked over her shoulder, coyly licking her lips.  "Have them"   she said to the dark shadow watching her intently, much to his surprise.  

Gareth stepped into the circle of firelight and , eyes gleaming, attacked  the two men with relish.  His hunger had roared from the moment Brianna drank her first and now he slaked it ruthlessly.     A Killer had been born tonight, and he rejoiced in knowing, she was his......