Epilogue

|New York, New York|
|Tuesday, May 28, 2013|

The stale air felt heavy and through the radio crackled the best of the 1940's. Adeline slowly came to her senses, moving her toes just to make sure they were there. She slowly opened her eyes to see a white ceiling. She looked around the room which looked like some sort of strange hospital but she spotted Steve. His head rested on the edge of her bed, his eyes closed and his hand in hers. His eyes were a puffy red, it looked like he had been crying.

"Steve," Adeline said, but it came out as a strained whisper. Steve's eyes immediately snapped open and he gripped her hand tighter.

"Adeline," he said with a relieved grin as he brought her hand to his lips, kissing it gently.

"You're dead... so I'm dead," Adeline said, confused.

"Adeline, just take it easy, alright?" His voice was thick with emotion.

"Where are we?" Adeline asked as she tried to sit up, but a shooting pain went through her sore body and she gasped. She lifted her heavy arms looking at her hands. Her left was still laced with metal. "What happened?" Adeline asked, looking frantically back up at Steve.

"It's okay, just relax. We're in a hospital in New York," Steve said. "But things have changed, Adeline."

"Changed?" Adeline echoed, looking around the room.

"It's not the 1940's anymore, Adeline. You've been asleep for almost 70 years," Steve said. He got up, walking over to the window, opening the blinds. Out of the window there were large buildings, some of which she couldn't even see the top of. It was an electronic world. Billboards flashed, lights flickered on and off in the late evening.

"No" Adeline said softly. "I should've died. What about Bucky? Don't I get to see him? After all of this and I don't get to die?"

"Adeline, please," Steve said gently, sitting on the edge of Adeline's bed, hurt filling his eyes.

"This isn't fair," Adeline whispered, a tear slipping from her eye as she gazed out into the strange world. "I want to go home."

Author's Note: Thank you to all who have supported me throughout this book. Though it was short, it was a blast to write and publish! The second book 'Control' is now being published! Check it out on my profile!