Chapter Eighteen: Lucky One

We could already see the flashing lights as we slowly approached the venue of the movie premiere. The vehicle we were riding on fell into line with the other cars that held various important personalities in them.

Adam stared outside the window with amazement, allowing everything to sink in.

At the very end of the line, somebody opened the car door of one of the vehicles and a celebrity stepped out. The camera that was behind a fence started to click their cameras, focusing their lens at the new star that arrived.

“Wow,” Adam breathed out as our car started to approach the very end.

I gripped his hand in mine and gave him a comforting smile, “If you don’t want to, we can go back.”

He shook his head, squeezing my hand, “I don’t want to ruin your night.”

Nodding, I allowed him to take deep breaths as we were only a car away before we had to step outside.

Ever since this morning, the excitement that Adam had been feeling quickly melted into nervousness. Instead of being jumpy because of glee, he was frozen due to the anxiety he was feeling. I repeated to him a thousand times that we can ditch the premiere, but he still insisted that we should go.

I’m prepared to drag his body out of there if ever he faints.

We finally came into stop, and the photographers are getting their cameras ready for whoever is in this vehicle. It was always a hit and miss during red carpet events, the heavily tinted windows concealed the inside of the car, the people outside doesn’t know who’s riding it.

A man reached out and opened the car door and flashes of light started to erupt. Adam got out and just like a proper gentleman, he reached out a hand to help me get outside of the vehicle.

The man who opened the door smile warmly at us, “Welcome, please enjoy your night,” he closed the door and gestured to the driver that he can go now.

“What do I do?” Adam gulped as he eyes the amount of photographers and reporters in front of us. Looping my arm with his, I took a deep breath as I plastered a smile.

“Just have a good time,” I whispered, praying that he started to relax.

His movements were stiff as we started to walk the red carpet, stopping at a spot in front of the photographers.

Adam smiled – well, attempted to – I could see his lips quivering, and I let out a quiet sigh.

If he’s too worried about worrying my night, he should just let that idea slip. Doesn’t he know that the only way for me to enjoy this is if he’s also happy?

I’ll gladly sacrifice a night of being glammed up for a comfortable time with him on the couch as we pigged out while we watch a bunch of rented movies.

I just want to see him smile, and not the way he’s doing right now.

“Can we get some solo shots, Heart?” a man asked from the crowd. Adam instantly paled at the idea of being left alone on the side as I was getting my picture taken.

Not happening!

When he made a move to pull his arm away, I lifted my other hand and laid it on top of his arm. I pretended not to hear what the man requested as I stared up at my best friend.

He looked down on me, ready to tell me what the photographer had asked.

“You know that I’m never leaving you,” I whispered, giving a small encouraging smile.

Something in those words made him relax. The muscles in his body was one stiff with nervousness started to loosen up. Those eyes that were once filled with anxiousness was now twinkling with a new emotion. His lips quirked into a smile, not the fake one he had on since the start of the night, but a full on happy one that had me weak at the knees.