iv. survivors

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE SHOVEL JUNE GRIPPED RUBBED AGAINST HER SKIN, LEAVING IT BURNING AS IF BLISTERS WERE BEGINNING TO APPEAR. She sighed, pausing to use the back of her hand to wipe at the sweat that was starting to bead up from the head of the sun. Wells had insisted the right thing to do was bury the two kids that had died during the landing, and despite the warm weather making it hardly bearable, June knew it was right to do. The kids deserved a proper burial, even if they had made a stupid decision.

June's motions stopped as she plowed the shovel downwards. Her eyes flickered upwards, sending a quick peek to Wells. She felt nothing but guilty and pity when seeing the missing wristband around his wrist. He claimed Bellamy and Murphy worked together to force it off, thinking if the prince of The Ark was dead than they wouldn't be followed down. June was sorry she couldn't stop them, but she swore to herself she'd keep her own wristband on unless she was dead.

"It's too hot for this," June whined out, beginning to dig the shovel into the pile of dirt and scooping it again. She tossed it onto the grave of one of the delinquents, patting it down. "Are we almost done?" She asked, stopping to steady the shovel into the grass and lean against it.

Wells glanced up briefly, a timid smile on his face. "You can stop if you want. I can finish up here," he offered as he continued. June thought it over for a minute, watching as Wells shoveled more dirt over the grave. She decided not to, knowing there wasn't much else to do. The other delinquents were already having a blast, playfully wrestling, hooking up with one another, and exploring where they landed. She wouldn't be surprised if more were taking their wristbands off. If Wells wanted to use his own time by burying bodies, as any person with morals would do, she would too.

For what seemed like forever, June continued piling more dirt onto the grave until it was finished and the deceased boys were buried. Wells had already collected the clothing they no longer needed, clutching the bundle to his chest as he walked away from the graves with his friend on his trail. As June expected, the ones they were stuck with were mostly partying. A group of boys were roughly playing a made-up game that looked painful, she assumed when seeing them all tackle one person. She winced shortly, figuring that he was hurt after a bunch of burly males attacked him. Even Wells sighed.

"Hey, where'd you get the clothes?" Another male spoke up directed towards Wells, a boy with black hair pushed back and bright blue eyes, but June knew him as Atom, one of the delinquents in Bellamy's militia.

"We buried the two kids who died during the landing," Wells explained shortly.

"Smart," Atom complimented. "You know, I can take it from here," he offered.

When reaching out, Wells immediately backtracked, pulling the clothing out of Atom's touch. "We share based on need, just like back home," he declared.

"You still don't get it, do you, Chancellor?" Another voice added from behind them. June turned around, noticing it was Bellamy just stepping out of the dropship and shirtless, very sweaty, and with an attractive also shirtless girl following after him. "This is home now. Your father's rules no longer apply," he declared, stalking forward.