Chapter Five: One For All, And All For One

I peered out of my classroom, checking if the coast was clear. I looked right, left, then right again. I closed my eyes, letting out a sigh of relief. I opened the door and quickly went into the crowd of kids. I thought for sure I was safe given I was blending into the crowd. I was using the same pace of walking, head down staring at the ground. But somehow, they found me.

I yelped in surprised when I felt a sudden tug at the back of the collar of my sweater. I was jerked backwards and lifted off my feet. Turned around, I met my captor, more specifically, captors. The Musketeers looked at me with the same identical grins. Declan was the one who was holding me up by the collar.

"Why, hello there, Naomi," Jordan said cheerfully.

I sighed in defeat. "Hey."

"Y'know..." Jordan mused. "We haven't seen you all day. And if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were avoiding us."

I let out a laugh. "Me? Avoid you? What are you talking about?"

"That's the same thing I was telling the guys," Jordan pointed out. "There couldn't be any possible way that you would avoid the three of us."

"Until we saw you in the hall and you began to walk the other way," Bennett said.

All three of them nodded in agreement.

I sighed again in defeat. "Fine. I am avoiding you guys. But don't take it per- Okay, take it personal."

Jordan crossed his arms and shook his head in disappointment. "Oh, Naomi. You should know better."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Know what?"

He grinned mischievously. "You can't run away from the Musketeers."

"It's not possible."

"Not. At. All."

For the third time, I sighed in defeat. "I figured as much."

Declan set me back on the ground and pat me on the head, giving me a small smile.

"Now the question on our mind is..." Jordan said, as he circled around me, "Why were you avoiding us in the first place?"

"You didn't seem to mind hanging out with us Saturday," Declan said.

"And you told us we could pick you up today," Bennett reminded me. "But when we got to your house, we were waiting for you almost an hour until we figured that you must have already left."

The three of them looked at me with the same questioning look.

"I take the bus to school," I said matter-of-fact. Though, not the way you're thinking of.

"But that doesn't explain why you're avoiding us today at school," Jordan said.

"W-well it's because..." I trailed off and looked away. "It's because I didn't want to be such a bother."

"Such a bother?" All of them asked in unison.

I blinked. "Do you guys rehearse that?"

"No," they said simultaneously.

They looked at each other. "Stop that."

"No, you stop that."

Bennett sighed and looked back at me as the other two continued to argue in unison.

"I'm telling you to stop that."

"Not me, you."

"You!"

"Why do you think you'll be a bother?" He asked me.

Declan and Jordan stopped midway of yelling another thing in unison and looked at us.