Chapter Sixty-Seven: The Last Chance

Connor's POV

Even after Tasha ran from them, Connor remained silent, his eyes fixed on the gun in his hands while Hank continued to rant about their recent encounter.

"You're awfully quiet, Connor." Hank said after a moment, raising his eyebrows at the droid.

"She didn't think or hesitate when accomplishing her mission. I felt her determination... It was if she was me, before I became deviant."

"What? That's impossible, Connor. She can't just become you."

"Actually Lieutenant, I think she can. It matches up with a theory I've had."

"As a hybrid, her body is reworked using not only thyrium but android parts as well — When I became a deviant, there was a barrier I had to break down."

"Barrier?"

"Yes, it was a barrier in which I had to let my inner self take it down and finally admit what I was to become who I am right now."

"So you're saying Tasha has had a wall up all this time?"

"I don't know, Lieutenant... I don't understand it. She won't let me in. I can't read her anymore... our best bet is to find Kamski and see what he thinks."

"Kamski? He's a fucking pshyco."

"He may be the only way we can get Tasha back... He is the one who brought her back to life."

"Are you sure she'll even come willingly? You saw her back there — and the last time she was with Kamski you said her stress levels were high."

"I'm aware, but it's the only chance we have."

Connor paused for a moment, "Hank?"

"Yeah?"

"After overhearing the... conversation between you and Tasha, I think it's best if you find Kamski while I search for Tasha."

Hank seemed hesitant, but sighed reluctantly. "Alright, fine. I gusss you're right... just be careful, Connor. If what you said is true, she's more dangerous than we thought. We have no idea if she'll become violent, or worse."

"She wouldn't hurt me."

"Without her emotions? Without her humanity? She'll do whatever she has to, to keep those away. To keep you away. She might even hurt herself. It's all about how you approach it... do you understand?"

"Yes. I understand, Hank."

With a small nod Hank left the building, allowing Connor a moment to take a deep breath. His eyes examined the gun in his hands.

"Where did you run off to?"

The analysis he performed showed traces of gunpowder that began a trail where Tasha had ran.

That's a start at least.

Connor followed the trail of gun powder to the street, his mind replaying Tasha running through the nearest alley. There he found what looked to be more gun powder, next to a pile of dry mud.

She must have taken an abandoned vehicle.

The question is, where did she go?

•••

The idea of Tasha by herself in the state she was in terrified him. Without her emotions she was dangerous enough, but the way she had acted —

Connor's LED was constantly hovering between red and yellow, trying his best to analyze all past moments with her to find out where she'd go.

"If I were Tasha, where would I go?"

The easiest option Connor had to find Tasha was searching the security cameras and drones through the precinct. It would take extra time to get there, but it was more likely probably to find her that way.

Once Connor began sifting through the cameras, his worries began to show as he tapped his leg impatiently and flipped his coin repeatedly.

I will find you.

It took a while, a long while, but finally Connor spotted her on one of the cameras.

"Thirty Fifth and West Retrigo Avenue..."

The location didn't stick out to him as a place of significance for Tasha, as she had ever mentioned any of the locations near that spot.

C'mon, Connor. Think harder.

*
Connor held up a photo of Tasha by the river, handing it to her gently.

"My parents used to take me there whenever I had a bad day. It made me feel safe."

*

She's at the river.

She has to be.

•••

A/N: thanks for reading! Leave all suggestions :) Songs I think fit Tasha during her struggle with emotions are Gasoline and Control by Halsey :)