Chapter 16

You helped your father patch up Nova. She was alright. It missed all of her most important biocomponents. Your father seemed relieved that she was only damaged a little bit. You were too honestly. 

"She was lucky. She must've moved just in time otherwise it wouldn't gone through her heart. Nova might need more training if she's going to help you all. That or she isn't being as careful as she should be." He said. You nodded.

"I'll train with her tomorrow." You said.

"(Y/n), I have a question for you." (F/n) said. You listened. "What do you think of those deviants?" He asked. You were surprised. How do I answer this? 

"I think..I think that maybe there is more behind them than we think. That...this is either very complicated or very simple." You answered.

"Explain." He said.

"It could be very complicated and they could just being going crazy or haywire, or...it could be simple and they could just be realizing that they can be free....and that's exactly what they want." You explained. He hummed, clearly thinking about what you said.

"What do you personally think of them?" He asked.

"I...I think they just want to be free. I don't know, Dad. I'm so confused. I don't understand any of this, we're getting nowhere, and...and...." You stopped yourself from finishing that sentence.

"And what?" Your father asked.

"And...I don't know what to do." You said, changing what you were originally going to say. He turned toward you and walked up to you. He placed his hands on your shoulders.

"It's up to you what to think of all this. It's your choice, not mine. You can get past this." He said.

"But..what am I supposed to do now? Nothing is making sense or working." You said.

"When you say that, what subject are you talking about?" Your father asked.

"What?" You asked, stunned. Him too?! He smiled softly at you.

"Like I said, it's your choice." He replied. "No matter what it's going to be, or how this is going to end, I want you to know that I love you, I trust you, and I know you can do this." He said, hugging you. You hugged back.

"Thanks Dad." You said.

"I will always be here." He said. He let go, kissed your forehead, and then he left. Nova looked up at you, pawing at your leg. You smiled at her. You hugged her. She licked you cheek happily. You pulled back and scratched her head. She barked happily and you chuckled. 

"You should get some rest girl. Go on, go to bed." You said. She cocked her head to the side as if asking, 'What about you?'. You chuckled. "I'm not tired yet. Trust me. Just go get some rest. I'll be fine." You said. She got up and bounded away. You frowned after she left. You went outside and sat down at the edge of the pool. You dangled your feet into the water. You sighed.

"Bad day, huh?" You turned and saw Zane. You sighed again.

"Yeah, I guess you could say it wasn't great." You replied.

"What happened?" He asked, sitting down next to you, the glow of the lights in the blue illuminating both of your body's a teal-ish blue.

"Well, Hank passed out from drinking."

"Nothing new there." Zane said. You rolled your eyes at him. "Just trying to get a smile. Continue." 

"We went to Eden Club for a case. We found two deviants there...but they were in love with each other. They got away. The one that had said she'd killed the victim on accident said that they just wanted to be together. I didn't know what to think. And everybody keeps asking me way I care about either Nova or Connor or why I did this or why I did that. I just...I don't know what to do Zane." You said. He nodded.

"Well, I'd say you did the right thing letting them go." He said.

"What? Why? What if Connor gets taken away because he's not making progress or what if they all blame me and I get fired or worse." You said. He put an arm around your shoulder.

"Okay, first off nobody is going to hurt my little sister. Second, I'm sure you won't get fired." He told you.

"What about Connor?" You asked, your eyes filled with worry as you looked into his deep blue ones. He sighed.

"There? I don't know." He replied honestly. "What do you think they'll do after the investigation anyway?" He asked. You hadn't even thought about that.

"I...I was hoping they'd let him stay with Hank and I." You said.

"Hoping?" He questioned. You broke down.

"I DON'T KNOW! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M FEELING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY I CARE ABOUT HIM! After all, he's an android right!? He can't actually care about me, or Hank, OR ANYTHING! That's the facts right!? Androids are just our slaves and nothing else right!? We're just too fucking selfish and lazy to get off our fucking asses and, oh I don't know, GET A DAMN JOB OR DO SOMETHING WITH OUR LIVES! 'Androids are putting us out of work'! YEAH! MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE, OH I DON'T KNOW, WE'VE BECOME SUCH A SELFISH SHITTY RACE THAT NOBODY WANTS A FUCKING HUMAN TO DO THE WORK SINCE HUMANS DON'T WANT TO GET OFF THEIR DAMN ASSES!" You screamed, finally voicing your thoughts for the world to hear. Zane looked shocked at your rage filled outburst. Tears raced down your face. "That's all we do...sit on our asses and let androids do the work. Because that's what's acceptable right? T-that's what they're supposed to do right? A machine can't be happy, or-*sniff* or care, or feel emotions, or...*sniff* or l-love..." You cried. His shocked expression turned into a sorrowful one. His arms wrapped around you.

"It's okay. Just calm down. I know it's frustrating, believe me, I've been there. I get why your scared. I know he's your friend. It'll be alright. He's part of our family now. He's a friend to all of us. We'll do whatever it takes to keep him from getting shut down. I promise." Zane said.

"Yeah, it'll be alright sis!" You both turned as you heard Carl's voice. All of your siblings were there. They all gathered around you and told you it would be fine and that they would help. You smiled through the tears.

"R-really?" You asked.

"Really. Nobody messes with our friend." Scarlett said.

"Or our little sister." Ash agreed.

"We're here for you (Y/n)." Kent agreed.

"You'll always have us!" Carl said with a big smile.

"And we'll always be there for you, no matter what." Zane promised. 

"No matter what?" You asked. They all smiled at you and gave you a giant group hug.

"No matter what." They all said together. You smiled and enjoyed the rather large and arm embrace. No matter what.