23. I Love You

t w e n t y - t h r e e

I wake up with a groan, and my hand flies to my forehead, cradling it. My head is pounding, and I'm still reeling back from the influx of light to my eyes.

"Good morning," Kara chirps, looking into my room. "There's some Advil there."

"Thank you, I love you," I say, grasping the cup and pill.

I get up to go brush my teeth. I start humming a song that I heard, last night I think.

"And how can you stand to chance it?" I mumble, singing quietly as I get my breakfast ready. "When you know it's my heart you wrecked it."

"Ooh, is that a new song?" Kara asks excitedly, looking up from her papers.

"I'm not sure," I answer. "I've heard it somewhere. I think last night. I don't know where it's from."

I eat my breakfast and leave to go to a meeting with the rest of my tour mates. Quinn comes along, too, because she was there for some of it. I continue humming the song as I walk into the elevator. The tune never leaves me even though the elevator music plays softly in the background.

The elevator doors open with a chime, letting Jonah in. He awkwardly stands out of the elevator for a second before coming in with a tense stature.

"You remember the song?" He asks, referring to the tune I was humming.

"Yes! Was that yours?" I ask, eager to know where it came from.

"Yeah, I sang it to you in your room last night," he answers.

"Oh yeah! I kinda forgot that," I chuckle, not remembering what happened right before I fell asleep. "I was acting like a baby. I needed someone to sing me to sleep. I needed someone to stay in the room while I fell asleep." I say, slowing down as I finish my sentence. Everything that happened last night dawned on me. "I'm so sorry! I said such bad stuff about Lavender!"

"It's fine," he answers, putting a hand reassuringly on my shoulder, "we needed some space."

"Why?"

"She hasn't been the only one in our apartment recently," he answers vaguely. "I need some time to think about that."

"Okay," I say. "I'm sorry."

"I should be the one apologizing," he says as the doors open again. "I didn't mean those things I said. And I didn't call my agent about you, I just gave that as an excuse. I did call Lavender, but it was complicated."

"Should we go in?" Quinn hisses to Daniel.

"We have to," he whispers back.

"You can come in," Jonah says, sliding closer to me as he makes space for them to stand together.

"Sorry," they apologize, walking in.

His words echo through my mind.

[]

"You two have a lot to work out," our managers chorus, pointing at me and Jonah.

"Trust us, we know," I reply.

"And we're working on it," Jonah adds, placing his hand on mine.

"Good," they say, continuing their lecture, but I don't hear anything. My mind is fixated on his hand as I start to remember exactly what he said just as I fell asleep.

"Darling, I wish I could."

Kind of short, but a very meaningful chapter

Q. Do you think Jonah is trying to say something by touching her hand and shoulder?

QOTD: (if you watch Andi Mack) do you ship Tyrus or Jyrus?
AOTD: Jonah is still hooked on Andi, so Tyrus.