Chapter 5: Boys Will be Girls

A/N: For this chapter (and I know it's been awhile, I'm sorry), I was inspired by all the fanart I saw on tumblr (yes, I'm on a fanart kick) and I thought there were some really good ideas, so I kind of mashed up a couple of my favorites in this chapter. Enjoy!

*Dean*

It's been a total of five days that we've been staying at Kris's house and already Vee is getting cabin fever. If I'm being honest, I am too, but I'm enjoying a few days off with my sister and Cas, so I'm not too eager to get back out there. That being said, Veronica doesn't seem to be able to go more than a couple days without hunting something. No wonder the demons caught up with her so easily!

At the moment, she's cleaning and polishing all of her many weapons in the middle of the living room floor while Castiel, Kris and I share the TV. I'm watching the game, Cas is watching Looney Tunes, and Kristy's watching some Brittish TV show called Sherlock. Macy is glued to Kristena most of the time and Jayden spends most of his time practicing spells and talking to Veronica. Presently, the two are exchanging spell theories while Kris chimes in distractedly every once in awhile.

"It's magic, Jay, which is the complete opposite to science. I think you just gotta try it and see what works," Vee is saying, wiping dried blood off a machete that looks too big for her to even lift, let alone use.

"Yeah," he replies, rolling his eyes, "and let's just blow up the house while we're at it, because magic is definitely something you want to experiment with."

"I'm sure none of the spells you said you're trying would result in an explosion that big," she assures him, moving on to the next weapon.

Jayden's flipping through an old spell book Kris happened to have lying around and makes a face at his cousin.

"Who's the magician here? How would you know?"

She gives him a cool, slightly amused look-one that she gives me anytime she knows she's pissing me off.

"Then don't ask for my opinion next time," she answers pleasantly, looking down the barrel of a gun.

Her opponent snorts softly but doesn't reply, just continues flipping through the book moodily. Kris sits up suddenly, and looks at me excitedly.

"I have a case for you two that's far enough away that the demons won't even realize it was you," she informs us.

Veronica immediately perks up at the mention of a possible hunt, turning a little so that she doesn't miss any details.

"Somethin' weird," Kristy mumbles, "it looks almost like...a trickster, maybe? I don't know. You guys should check it out though."

Veronica shoot me a look, silently asking if I'm up for it. I shrug and yawn.

"Sure, why not," I consent.

Veronica leaps to her feet excitedly.

"Let's get going then!" she exclaims, looking excited for the first time since I met her.

"I'm not even going to get to finish the game," I groan.

"You're team loses," Kris deadpans as we get to our feet.

Sighing heavily, I stand by Veronica as Kris reaches up with two fingers and close my eyes. When I open them, we're sitting in the middle of a hotel room, our bags on the floor by the feet of our respective beds. Veronica sits up, looking at me with her rust colored eyes all lit up like it's Christmas.

"You ready?" she asks.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I grumble as we head out the door to start investigating.