Chapter 2

In most novels, when a character fights their way through the woods it is exactly that: a fight. And while Harley read a lot of books where the main hero or heroine goes trampling through the forest, the idea of someone actually full out running through the mass of trees and underbrush was somewhat comical.

            For one, the canopy of trees overhead blocked out most of the sun. Save for a few spots where the layers of trees were less thick, almost no sunbeams seeped through. Poor visibility made it hard to see much past her face. On top of that, the underbrush of wildflowers, twisty flattened weeds, and cracked fallen tree pieces could damper any walking.

            Her only advantage really was the fact that being raised with a pack gave her a lot of experience with navigating through the trees.

            Yet all that experience did nothing for her panic attacks.

            Because of her past, woods tended to make her a bit nervous. She'd long since convinced herself to work through it. After all, her whole world revolved around woods and forests where animals could roam freely. And she really did love the beautiful qualities of some parts—like the creek.

            But if she were being completely honest with herself, she had to admit that her fear still existed and that being in the woods any time after the sun set—even though the attack happened during the day—scared the everlasting shit out of her.

            Harley took a deep breath and counted to five on the inhale and exhale. There would be no panic attacks today. Though she really didn't have much control over it, she hardened herself and stayed adamant about making sure there wouldn't be one.

 She headed back towards the pack house from the creek. Stepping over a rather large tree root, she placed her foot down on the ground. Surprised, the ground jutted off into a sudden drop. She stumbled forward, barely catching herself on a tree.

            Jeez, I'm such a clutz.

            It wouldn't be as bad if the sun weren't setting. Darkness settled in and slowly casted the canopy of trees into the night. Harley didn't have the type of senses that the other wolves had. If she did, that tree root wouldn't have been as much of a surprise.   

             Looking back at the offending root, she continued forward, only to slam into something and fall backward. Hard.

            "Ow!" A petite blond grabbed at her shoulder where Harley collided with her.

            Harley scrambled upward, putting out a hand to help her up. The girl ignored it and got up on her own. She brushed dirt off her shirt. "Newbies. Always a mess." She muttered under her breath. Even without werewolf senses she could still hear her. Harley tried not to take offense. Much.

            "Hi?" Harley twisted her fingers. "Sorry. I didn't mean to—"

            The girl waved her off. Rather rudely. "Whatever. You Harley?"

            "Yeah." How'd she know?

            "I'm Jamie."

            It was an awkward meeting if Harley'd ever seen one. "What are you doing out here?"

            Jamie tossed her long blond hair over one shoulder. She scrutinized Harley from head to toe. "My dad sent me out here. Wants to see you." She shrugged delicately. "Or something."