Chapter 27

Chapter 27

The mermaids by the docks were flirting with the males, giving them dazzling smiles and reaching up from the water to run their hands over their chests and arms. Jai couldn't help but grin when one mermaid with light green hair lifted herself up to give one of the males a kiss, making him topple over into the water with them. He was fine, of course, but the males and mermaids around him were laughing as he broke the surface, sputtering for air.

"I've never trusted mermaids," Camilla said, narrowing her eyes at them as they walked off the docks. "Not since what happened the last time we came here."

"It's all right, Cam," Jai laughed as he put an arm around her shoulder. "We know it wasn't your fault you almost fell for her charms."

Soren grinned, winking at her before kissing the side of her head. "I never thought I'd get jealous of a mermaid either. You would have thought a male would find it sexy."

"You're such a pig. I still don't trust them."

Both Jai and Soren laughed then as the three of them stepped foot onto Blackloch.

One would have never thought the crown prince of Dalcaine would have been somewhat of a regular visitor to the pirate queen's island, but Jai was. He'd known Kalla for over a century now and they had a friendship he loved to hate. The human turned immortal by an unknown force was a thorn in his side that he dealt with, but he couldn't deny the effect Blackloch had on someone.

The island itself wasn't large, just a few square miles, but it was packed with life. There were multiple harbors with ships docked, their Blackloch banner flags flying high and proud. The city was massive and took up almost all of the island with stone buildings, winding stone-paved roads, and canals separating different sectors. It was like Asturia in that manner with water being the main element of the island, integrating itself into every aspect of the life it held.

Those lives were of every sort Jai had ever come in contact with. Fae, sorcerers and sorceresses, and humans alike with different skin tones, backgrounds, and titles, all living in peace for a land that didn't take rules and laws seriously. Yet there was hardly any crime on the island. The system Kalla had in place worked well and everyone respected her. They knew they could count on her to keep them safe.

Which was why the Blackloch people's reputations went far and wide, calling themselves pirates because that was exactly what they were. Jai had spent quite a bit of time with them. Other than what had happened the night of the attack and he was stabbed, all Kalla's people would ever do what get what they needed. Something had changed in the last two or so years, though. This was the first time Jai had set foot on the island because of it.

Blackloch itself hadn't changed, though. With the night approaching, the usual nightly party was getting ready to commence. The smells of food wafted through the air, laughter and conversation was all around, and all the bright colors of the clothes, lights, and decorations were coming out, even in the chill.

"Kalla's probably going to be at her house, right?" Camilla asked.

"That's where we'll check first," Jai nodded, lifting the hood of his leather jacket, glancing at a Fae female walked by wearing a see-through gossamer dress that didn't leave anything to the imagination. "She's usually there by now getting ready for the party."

Jai led the way down a side street called Lovers' Way. The name was fitting, especially with the multiple pleasure houses and all the lustful encounters between male and female, male and male, and female and female. Even though Camilla was not one to shy away from such encounters with her mate, she seemed uncomfortable walking past those who took advantage of walls of the buildings to press their lovers against them.