Chapter 35

I stood in my usual hiding spot down in the caves. The fire that lit and warmed this prison needed to be changed, the flames were weakening, but for now, that wasn't important. In fact the darker the room, the better. I wanted Clovis to feel as if all hope was lost - for him at least.

     "You've brought me a pen and paper now so I could write to my father?" Clovis asked Ray. His voice sounded harsher, not in tone, but in misuse. Any more talking and it sounded as if Clovis' voice was shred like paper. I guess that's what happens when you don't talk for a few weeks.

     "Not really my new friend," Ray took a pause for dramatic effect. "This is actually a letter from your father, to you."

     I hear Clovis rush to the bars, his skin brushes against the metal. That sound came and went in the room. I could imagine Clovis hesitated before grabbing the envelope, but once he did the crinkle of the paper was unmistakable.

     "The seals not broken," he said unsure.

     "Wasn't addressed to us."

     It was so easy for Yana to steal one of the many seals the Spring King had lying around his office during her first visit into spring. And the death letter he sent me just recently proved that he does not indeed change them.

     "Wonder what my dear father has wrote to me," Clovis muttered.

     "Here, let me get a light for you to read it better," Ray stepped back quickly until he was in my line of site once again. And just as he was reaching us on the wall, the letter was completely opened, and that's when the poison went into his lungs.

     Instantly he started coughing for a few seconds as he tried to resist, but I knew that in that moment, he was overwhelmed by the poison. Clovis was no longer in there.

     "Clovis! Clovis!" Ray yelled in worry. He was such an amazing actor.

     "You stupid human. Do you really think this cage is going to hold me back?"

     "What?"

     Clovis laughed, and the broken pieces in his voice made him sound even more wicked. There was a banging on the bars, he was trying to get out. "I said you were nothing but a stupid human! Can't you see my father is going to destroy this place, with or without me. He has so many other hidden tricks up his sleeve that when you think you're safe, you're not. He's going to kill you. Maybe crack your ribs in first so you could suffocate. That's his favorite torture method."

     Again Clovis laughed, and again he growled as he banged on the bars. A little harder this time that he hissed at the third punch. He must have bruised his sensitive human bones.

     "Even without my powers I can take you. So come on, let me out you fake King." When Ray just stood there in shock Clovis banged at the doors once again. "Let me out! Let me out! I'll kill you! I'll kill you all!"

     Oh lands, I sounded just like him last week.

     "Clovis, what was in that letter? What...is it poison? Crap, crap, crap, it was wasn't it?"

     The banging on the bars started to rattle a bit more as Clovis started running his full body into it. Each time he did he growled out some hateful word, and in the meantime Ray just watched as if this was his first time seeing this happen to someone.

      "You're eyes! They're bleeding!" Ray finally said, and that was our cue.

     "He has tunnels! He's going to dig so low that even your Queen can't feel him on her land, and then he'll come and save me. And together we'll destroy this barren place! I'm so sick and tired of the cold! AHHHHH!" He yelled.