Prolouge

Cassidy Skai Davis
Chicago, Suburbs
I've known Saint my entire life. We've lived right next to each other since I could remember. We even went to the same Elementary school.

We never spoke but always waited for the school bus together. Saint and I ran with different crowds.

He had his small group of friends. Then I had my large group of "friends". I didn't really consider myself popular until I realized how many people would kiss up to me.

But Saint, he didn't even acknowledge me. Only early in the mornings on Saturdays when I would hear a basketball pounding on the concrete.

I would go right up to my bedroom window, being that his backyard was right next to my room and tap it to get his attention.

He would look at me and I would put my index finger to my lip, indicating for him to keep it down.

He would always roll his eyes and smile at me, meaning that he wasn't going to keep it down. This resulted in me waking up early every Saturday.

That was the only time I ever really spoke to Saint.

***
One day my older sister, Christin was having a pool party. She was turning 14.

Our mom ran around preparing for her party. She invited everyone on our block plus our friends.

I should've been happy. More popularity points right? Wrong, my mood was all over the place that day.

I literally cried in front of all of my friends over not being able to find my favorite hot pink bikini.

I had to wear my the other one. It was white and had cute little diamonds on it. I eventually got over it and was ready to party with my friends.

We all sat in the pool chairs, tanning and trying to look sexy. We were only 12. I cringe at myself everyday from that memory.

I remember Saint being there with one of his best friends. I would occasionally see him get into the pool or dribble his basketball while sitting in a pool chair.

As always I barely paid him any mind. Even if he was in my own backyard, it wasn't going to change the fact.

"Let's go get in the pool." One of my friends announced.

They all got up first. I was the last to get up.

I talk off my little shades, getting up from my seat. Then I heard a bunch of laughter.

My friends gasped in shock, covering up my seat and my back side.

"Wait what are they laughing at? What's going on?" I asked.

I turned around to look at my seat. There was blood on my towel. I had gotten my period for the first time.

It was so embarrassing. At least 45 people watched as I ran out of the back yard into the house.

I looked back and the only face I caught was Saints, the only one not laughing.