Chapter Fifty-Nine

[Chapter Fifty-Nine]

Playing matchmaker wasn't nearly as easy as Elspeth and Sirius thought it was going to be and it seemed with every attempt, they were only making matters worse. Elspeth was pretty sure that they were actually working better to drive Lily right into the arms of her soulmate as everything they did to make James look better was actually making him appear annoying. And while Elspeth knew how important the fate of the wizarding world depended on it, there was part of her that just wanted to pretend that she didn't have to do it. There were moments where her classes took priority over everything, even if she didn't find herself that interested in the subject.

Sure, it was important that Lily and James had sex to have their children, but Elspeth had her own goals of becoming a Hit Witch and she didn't want to jeopardise any of that by sacrificing her school work. It was complicated, scheduling her time to manage everything and it was just leaving her irritated. It didn't help that it was also just the start of term, she figured that the majority of the stress would come near the middle or closer to the end.

However, there did seem to be a glimmer of light with Sirius actually offering to help her get them together, but that also raised some suspicions in her mind. Sirius, Remus, and Peter had always encouraged James to let it go when it came to his strong fancy towards Lily, even they became visibly annoyed by James' pursuit sometimes. And yet, out of nowhere, it had suddenly become a priority in his life to make sure that James and Lily became a couple.

Elspeth had questions, some for Hades because she wasn't sure if she was going to get a true answer out of Sirius or at least, the answer she was looking for. But that was going to have to wait as she had a full day of classes ahead of her, one of them included Potions with Professor Slughorn.

They were going over the Volubilis Potion, a potion meant to alter the drinker's voice and also contained the properties to restore one's voice if they lost it to such things as the Silencing Charm. However, the potion itself looked absolutely foul when it came to anything that anyone wanted slithering down their throat.

Professor Slughorn had the group of students gathered around the cauldron, that had been a bogey green for a little while before turning yellow. He described it as a "pleasant" yellow to them, but all Elspeth could see was a cauldron full of old piss.

Of course, after they were shown what the potion was supposed to look like, they were instructed to pair up and get started with their brewing. However, Professor Slughorn wanted to keep them all on their toes with the pairings as he started pulling the names from a bag so that couldn't simply choose who they were going to work with. The sounds of groans echoed in the classroom as no one wanted to be forced with another person, but Elspeth actually found herself quite delighted when the first pairing was called.

"Lily Evans and James Potter," Slughorn called out, leaving Elspeth to silently clap her hands together. It was a task that the two needed, they were both brilliant at Potions, so it meant they could work together just fine and get the job done.