Teacher's Pet

I slept surprisingly well on the floor. A pile of pillows and blankets sprawled out on the carpet functioned as my mattress, and my head rested comfortably on a school hoodie.

I'd set an alarm for 3:30am, hoping that I could get ready in half an hour and wake her at four at which point I would drop her at her hotel if that was what she wanted.

As I tiptoed around my apartment, my slipper-clad toes making the barest of creaking noises as they touched each wooden panel of the floor, I realized she hadn't even given me my sunglasses back.

•••

I was almost completely ready for the day, puttering around the kitchen in my fuzzy slippers and pink silk housecoat as I popped my morning medications, when I heard Miss Lane's sleepy voice from the bed.

"What's that?" She asked innocently as I tipped back my glass of water and swallowed two Dexedrine.

I nearly spilled water all over myself at the unexpected noise. I'd almost forgotten she was there, and unless I was listening to music, my mornings were usually dead silent.

I popped a small pink pill out of its bubble package and stuck it on my tongue, sticking it out at Miss Lane before swallowing it. "Birth control." I replied casually.

"You just took like three pills."

I shrugged. "Guess I'm hard to control."

She climbed into a sitting position and I returned my attention to the french press in front of me, slowly pushing down the plunger and pouring the coffee into my travel mug, and a second mug for Miss Lane. "Cream? Sugar?" I prompted, holding up the mug. "I probably should've asked if you drink coffee, but you were sleeping and we don't drink tea in this house."

"Who's 'we'?" She asked, curiosity evident in her voice.

"Me." I admitted, my cheeks flushing. I was glad my back was to her as I spoke. "I don't drink tea in this house. I usually take my coffee black, but..." I walked over to the fridge and opened it up, scanning the shelves, "I've got... half and half, 2% milk, and coconut creamer, so pick your poison."

"Milk is fine." She replied quickly. "So I take it you live alone?"

"Nah, my boyfriend sleeps in the closet." I gave her a smirk over my shoulder before putting the milk back in the fridge.

I could hear the bed creaking behind me as the blonde crawled out of it. "I was going to let you sleep for another five minutes and drive you home to get changed for work." I explained, setting aside her mug and sipping from my own as I approached my closet.

I must've been flicking through my clothes for a few minutes before the smaller woman came up beside me, coffee in hand. I couldn't deny how sweet and unassuming she looked with her blonde hair piled into a messy bun, practically swimming in the extra large t-shirt I'd given her.

"This dress is gorgeous." She remarked, taking down a tight, navy blue dress that I'd worn only a couple of times in high school.

"It's cute, isn't it?" I admitted. "It doesn't fit me properly. It's supposed to be mid-thigh, but my legs are too long for it." I frowned slightly before a lightbulb went off in my head. I took the dress from her and held it up against her body. "And yours aren't." I confirmed, handing it back to her.