Chapter Thirty-One "Talking with Freddie"

It felt good to be in his company again.  I never had to fear anything so long as Freddie was near; he was right and I knew he would always come if I called.  We remained quiet for the carriage ride, only when it stopped did I know where we were . . . our townhouse.

            "I sent word ahead to have lunch ready," Freddie said helping me out of the carriage, "I thought that it would be best for us to be alone and somewhere safe for us to talk."

            "Do you not like the Edgehills?" I asked.

            "That is not a question we need to worry about right now," he sighed.  I could tell he was weighed down heavily and it was my fault.  "Come now, let's eat and catch up."

            It was wonderful to be back in the townhouse, it was so much like home that a feeling of  calm just washed over me as we crossed the threshold.  "Are you going to be coming back here?" I asked setting my things on the table.

            "I will stay where you and Patience are," Freddie said studying me as he took a seat.  He watched me for a second and then ran his hand across his forehead, "I shouldn't have let you come alone."

            I knelt by his side, he was blaming himself for everything, "No, Freddie," I cried.  "It's not that bad . . . "

            "Not that bad?" he laughed painfully, "Patience signed a contract promising that you'd marry that Thomas fellow!"  He let his head fall back against the chair as he sighed, "I never would have thought . . . " he started.  I laid my head against the arm of the chair and watched his fingers as they tapped against the armrest.  "I was hoping that you and Percival would have gotten along."

            "We did," I answered truthfully.

            "I wish you never heard that conversation, Magpie . . . more importantly Patience should never have interfered."

            "Oh,  you know about that?" I asked looking up at him.

            "She confessed," he nodded.

            "Did she say why?" I was beyond curious. 

            Freddie merely smiled at me sympathetically and nudged my chin with his finger.  "Margaret, what do you want?" he asked reaching for my hands, "Do you want me to take you home?  I will, we can leave this afternoon . . . I'll send for your things later."

            "No, Freddie," I shook my head, "you said London would be good for me . . . and in some ways it has."  He tried to smile but he still looked pained.  "I have had enjoyable moments.  I got to know Faith and Percival, I've met the Edgehills and most of all I found this place," I said looking around the room.  "I feel closer to them here . . . " I said dreamily.

            "To who?"

            "Mother and Father," I sighed, "I can feel them here." 

            He kissed my hand gently and squeezed it, "You are something, little sister, without a doubt."  He was quiet for a moment as he looked me over, "But what about your future?"

            "I'll have one," I nodded.

            "Of course you will," he laughed bringing us to our feet, "but with whom?  Do you want me to find Percival?"

            "Faith went to find him . . . but I haven't heard anything."

            "He's a good man," Freddie said escorting me to the dining room.

            "He is . . . but . . . he's not for me."

            "No," Freddie stopped and turned to me, "that was something you shouldn't have heard and it's not true.  You and Percival are your own selves, Patience has no say."

            "I should know that, but I've drilled it into myself for so long now . . . "

            "Margaret . . . "  I could hear the disappointment in his voice, that I had done myself a great disservice.

            "I do care for him, Freddie, I do.  But . . . "  I stopped and averted my eyes to one of the paintings in the hall.

            My brother lowered himself so he could look into my face, "Is it Thomas?"

            I caught my breath, "Sometimes."  Freddie laughed a little, I knew the question he would ask.  "There are times that he is so sweet and it's like everything . . . every bad thing just melts away."

            He inhaled deeply before speaking again, "But this contract?"

            "I don't think he knows about it," I replied, "Lady Edgehill started to say engagement and he told her to stop because she was moving too fast."

            "Too fast?" he rolled his eyes, "I'm sure that she and Patience had everything figured out already."

            "There were times I thought that too . . . but if he doesn't know then . . . his interest is genuine."

            "I can break the contract, then you'll really know if it is."

            "No," I sighed, "at least not yet.  Despite that . . . the Edgehills have been very kind to me.  I'm going to be sponsored at court," I smiled weakly, "and the lady has arranged a debut for me . . . they are doing so much . . . "

            "Margaret, they bought you!"

            "Freddie, can we wait until my debut . . . let me figure everything out and then I'll tell you if I want it broken . . . there's something I need to understand before I decide."

            He nodded once and resumed leading me to where our lunch was waiting, "I met him, you know."

            "Thomas?"

            "Yes," he said pulling a chair out for me, "after I had a very, very long talk with Patience I left the room and he was waiting in the corridor."  My thoughts went back to when he was waiting outside of my room, going over a conversation he was yet to have.  I smiled to myself.  "He introduced himself and told me that you are remarkable."  Freddie looked at me and looked into my lap to keep him from seeing my face, "Then he offered to show me to his parents."

            "Is that all he said?"

            "Should there be more?
            I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know."

            "He doesn't seem to be the type that needs a contract to find a wife . . . " Freddie's eyes were on me again.  I kept my eyes pinned to my plate as I used my fork to push a strawberry around.  "Margaret, what aren't you telling me?"