Syrra

Okay some of you guys really need to pay attention to who is commenting/responding because people keep arguing with me when I answer a question XD

I know a lot of you guys are mad at me and this chapter might make you even more upset but I hope the end of it makes you a little happy at least :)

******

He still hasn't let go of the letter. He keeps staring at. He reads it over and over again then closes his eyes for a few moments. When he opens them again and sees the letter still in his hands his shoulders slump a little more.

"There's no way this is real right?" he whispers, looking up at me.

The pain on his face and the hopeful look in his golden eyes makes my stomach turn. I open my mouth but nothing comes out. I don't know what to say.

"Please tell me this is all just a bad dream," he begs.

I bite my lip hard. It's going to be okay, I want to tell him but I know it's a lie. I bite harder until I taste blood on my tongue. "I'm sorry Kaine," is all I manage.

The last glimmer of hope in his eyes suddenly vanishes. I step closer to him and he wraps his arms around my waist. I suck in a sharp breath as I feel a sudden pressure behind my eyes.

He is on his knees, hugging my waist to hold himself up. I can feel something wet on my stomach and a tear slips down my cheek. I run my fingers through his hair, silently praying for the gods to give me something to say.

I blow out a heavy breath and blink a few times to stop the tears running down my cheeks as my mind wanders back to just an hour ago. I sent Rexall to check on Queen Zari, I was worried she might hurt herself in the mountains in her condition.

By the time Rexall caught up with her she was already in the werewolf territory. He followed her to make sure she didn't do anything reckless. I thought she was going to kill somebody but after she found her mate she just passed out.

I still don't know how to tell Kaine and his brother that their father is gone too. Watching them slowly break down after losing their sister just makes it impossible.

I look over at Ash with envy. He lays on the pile of pillows with Jaxon on top of him, his face buried in the crook of his neck. Ash strokes Jax's hair and holds him tight and whispers in his ear.

He knows exactly how to comfort Jaxon and I have absolutely no clue where to even start with Kaine. I've never lost anyone. There's no ancient text that teaches coping with death. There's no spell to get rid of grief.

I look down at Kaine with a tiny sigh. I put my hand on the side of his face and he looks up at me, pulling away slightly.

His eyes are red and his hair is sticking up in all different directions and he looks absolutely exhausted. "Baby you need to get some rest," I murmur.

He slowly nods and I pull him to his feet. I tug him down the hallways and to his bedroom where he faceplants on his bed. I start to leave but his voice stops me.

"Can you stay please?"

I chew on the inside of my cheek for a few moments then nod with a small smile. "Yeah I'll stay."

******

I can hear shouting outside the palace walls. Through the windows I see dozens of dragons rushing towards the main clearing. "What's going on?" I ask one of the guards.

"The queen has returned."

Kaine and Jaxon immediately barrel past me, roughly shoving the doors open. I jog after them, Ash just behind me.