47. Let the Hunt Begin

What is something that you hate but are forced to do? The answer is everything. Life ain't about doing what you want to do, it's about what you don't want to do. That is why some people say life is basically just torture. I agree because just like every other person in this world, I am forced to do something that I think is extremely tedious. Even if I didn't want to do it, it would appear that I have no choice out of fear of a threat of severe punishment heading my way.

--

Current Objective

Help Irina.

Time Limit: 4 Days

Reward: 5000 SP

--

I have 9075 SP saved up already so I can totally just tank this mission. But, the scary part about all this is the punishment, which is the reason why I am forcing myself to pursue this mission. The last time I had endured a punishment, it was for a mission with like 100 SP or less, and that was bad enough. That is why I don't think I can endure skipping out on something that is worth so much.

The morning I had received that notification on my phone was the morning after the first meeting of our club. Therefore, I only have until Friday to complete the mission, and if I don't, I will be in a world of hurt.

I didn't prepare myself mentally for this the night before, which is the reason why I could sleep peacefully. However, once I saw the notification in the morning, well... I was quite surprised and afraid. Whenever I check my phone, there always seems to be an invisible timer that only I can see that is counting down each and every second that goes by and is wasted. Seeing this makes me suffer from quite a severe anxiety attack, like on a constant basis.

Even when I'm in the classroom, I can never seem to find an opening for me to interact with Irina. She always seems to be surrounded by people that she doesn't find enjoyable company in. That forced smile of hers told the whole story to me, but it didn't to those that crowded her and only made it worse. They seemed to have mistaken that forced smile for a genuine one, advancing even closer to her with more confidence in their approach.

Once class had began, my anxiety and my natural inclination to focus on Irina made it impossible for me to pay attention, resulting in Mura scolding me in front of the entire class during her lecture. However, a benefit that scolding brought with it was that Irina seemed to be paying some attention to me since she sat quite close to me as well. However, I'm not sure, but I fear the attention might be negative. She might have a negative impression of me, thinking that I'm a student that doesn't pay attention in class and take school seriously. I mean she is kinda right, but that's not what I need her to think of me.

Lunch break soon arrived, and, once again, people started crowding around Irina. This time, however, Loyd took action and, with his charismatic smile and character that made people naturally give him much respect, he was able to squeeze to the front of the crowd and interact with Irina directly.

"Hello Irina," he said. "My name is Loyd Aksel Genose. I've been a big fan of yours."

"Thank you," Irina responded.

She had that same forced smile on her face, but something was different when she was interacting with Loyd. Is it because he's charismatic and good-looking? So when she talked with me, she had that forced smile and even that tear in her eye, but when it's Loyd, it's a totally different attitude? That's why I f*cking hate this world.

"Irina," Loyd began speaking. "Since we're gonna be classmates, I think we should all get to know each other better. All that we know about you is from the media. I think, as classmates, you can be more casual with us. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?"