16- The Cruelest Trick Of All

Draco looks over the Slytherin table. Skyler's nowhere to be seen. She disappeared. The know-it-all and that babyface Hufflepuff seem to know something about it, though, he thinks. Looking around the Great Hall, Draco sees that the Weasel Twins are just as clueless as he is. That's when Draco does something, he never thought he'd ever do. He frees himself from Pansy's arms and walks over to the Gryffindor table. Draco Malfoy walks over to the Gryffindor table.

"Granger," he speaks as if he talks to dirt, "I need to talk to you." Potter and Weasel raise their eyebrows and Granger sighs. She stands up and gestures to outside the Hall. 

"Somewhere more private. I think I already know your question." She says to him like he's some peasant. Draco just nods and follows her outside. God, this is the most low thing I've ever done in my life, he thinks.

"First of all, Malfoy, I need to know if you know." Granger asks mysteriously, but Draco knows what she's speaking of.

"Yes. I found out about who Skyler's father is." He answers on the same, mysterious tone. Satisfied Granger nods, not saying anything. She waits for him to ask a question after all.

"Do you know where she is? I haven't seen her the entire day." He starts, almost sounding desperately.

"Have you read the Daily Prophet this morning, Malfoy?" She asks tiredly, rolling her eyes. Draco shakes his head, a little confused. Granger sighs, taking a ripped page out of her robe. She pulls it into his hands, walking away.

"That's all you need to know. You've seen and heard the thunder this morning. She's really pissed." Draco curiously looks at the picture and the title of the article. His eyes widen while reading.

"Great Merlin." Is all he says, before running off to Snape's office.

∞∞∞

Skyler walks into the room. She's looking like her 12-year-old self. Her father almost got a heart attack when he saw her. How down and broken she looked back then. She's thin, her skin dull, lifeless. Her eyes miss the usual, mischievous spark. The figure in the round, class cell turns around, at first sight not realising what he's looking at. Acting like this is all a surprise to her, Skyler's eyes grow big, tearing up a little.

"L-Loki?" She asks, her voice small and broken. The tears escape from her eyes, letting her bottom lip tremble. Hearing her voice, recognising the small, broken figure in front of him, Loki jumps back.

"Sky? Is that you? W-what happened to you?" He asks frightened. This is not his Skyler. This is a ghost. A walking corpse.

"I-I thought you were dead..." The little girl continues, acting like she cries. She slowly walks closer to the cell. The cold posture that Loki was holding up, melts away. He kneels in front of her, trying to make eye contact.

"Skyler, tell me what happened to you... please." Loki begs her, heartbroken. The girl softly shivers, her cheeks wet of tears.

"You left... You all left..." She whispers. Skyler knows that this is exactly what will have effect. He needs to have his answers. But he won't get them.

"Is-is it true?" She softly asks, looking at the ground.

"Is what true?" Loki raises an eyebrow.

"That you murdered people again. That you broke your promise... that you took Eric?" She explains, looking up to his eyes. Skyler had longed to see his green eyes again. Instead, they're ice blue. Piercing blue. 'Controlled' goes through her mind. This isn't her uncle. Loki looks away, defying to answer the question. His mind is ready to break, when he realises one more thing.

"Why are you here?" He almost shouts, startling Skyler genuinely. The girl sobs, crying even more. 

"I-I... After... After you left. After everyone left me... I lost my magic. Dumbledore told me that it was the emotional impact. That it would never return. E-Eric a-and Darcy t-took c-care of m-me ever since... I've no contacts with my friends. They all refuse to talk to me. I-I... was kicked out of Hogwarts... my w-wand s-snapped in t-two... My u-untouched leather backpack taken... I'm sorry..." She continues crying, smirking to herself as she buries her face in her hands. Loki is taken aback, feeling guilty. He wants to be there for her. Comfort her. When his lips part to say something, another voice booms through the room.

"Sky! You should not be there, come here. We'll explain." Nick Fury tells her, holding out his hand. Skyler turns around and runs in his arms. Fury plays along, and kisses her forehead, as they walk out of the room together, leaving Loki hurt and shocked.

________________

I think the title of the chapter is explained. *evil smirk*

-lots of love.