76. Path

Taehyung glanced around the bedroom — at his dark wallpaper and what should have been a comfortable bed

Taehyung glanced around the bedroom — at his dark wallpaper and what should have been a comfortable bed. The Crowned Prince of Hel sighed loudly and faced the mirror, hearing his chair squeak under his weight as he adjusted his position.

There was a moment of silence as Taehyung stared at his reflection in the newly replaced mirror. The darkness gem bearer flicked his eyes towards the framed family photo on his dresser and grabbed it slowly. Both he and Shay were innocent little kids with bright smiles, seated atop the laps of their beloved parents. King Michael wore a genuine smile dripping with joy. Queen Loriza was as beautiful as ever, her green eyes bright and white skin radiating like the sun.

Taehyung gritted his teeth and hated how despite inheriting more of Queen Loriza's human genes, he was nearly a carbon copy of King Michael. Shay, on the other hand, took more of their mother's appearance but had more of their father's Helian blood. He sighed as he remembered the hardships of being Hel's first half-human heir. So much discrimination.

Still, Taehyung found himself wondering how different his life would have been if Queen Loriza hadn't passed away. He shut his eyes tightly as the memory of his bedridden mother flashed in his mind. It was almost like he could hear her voice whispering in his ear — Take care of yourself and your sister, no matter what.

Taehyung wasn't sure if he was crying or not but he felt his wounded eye sting. He sighed and stood up, the chair's legs scraping against the floor. Whispering an enchantment under his breath, the framed photo in the prince's hand turned into mist and faded away. The mist swirled around his wrist and etched a logo of number on his skin — which symbolized a pocket item he had hidden away.

With his eyes glued to the logo on his wrist, Taehyung slowly made his way to the door. He took one last glance at his room before he quietly shut the door. Through the large glass window in the palace's hallway, he could see the golden walls of the ballroom area.

For a moment, Taehyung stared outside and at the Helian cleaners who were tidying up the area. As he stared, he remembered having his first royal dance with and unconsciously smiled to himself. Goosebumps rose on his skin as the image of your beautiful smooth face and long black hair flashed in his mind. Not to mention the pure elegance you portrayed whenever you spun around with your whole figure seemingly glittering.

However, that smile soon faded when Taehyung recalled your words, at how now you didn't trust at all. He knew that even though he had good motives, he deserved it. Although, he couldn't quite understand why despite seeing the letter, you and the others were still doubtful towards his intentions. He figured that the clues he left were enough to explain it all.

Taehyung sighed at how he had been sidetracked from what he should have been doing. He turned around and paused when he felt his royal cape flutter behind him. With a click of a tongue, he snapped his fingers. Purple mist engulfed him. When it faded, he was once again wearing the outfit given to him by Suran.