Chapter four_(04)

••They don't know,
They don't understand,
And they don't care••

   "-this term, being your final term, with all the external and promotional exams and all, will be very hard. So you must buckle up and pay more attention in class. That's all I have to say to you for now. Welcome back to school students!" Our bald principal addressed us all on the assembly ground. The place was as silent as a graveyard because everyone—absolutely everyone feared principal Martins. Even though they called him funny names and made jest of him, they could never say it to his face.
Our British proprietor, Mr. Ferdinand with his blue eyes and balding white hair stood to the principal's left and as the students ceased clapping for Mr. Martins, he grabbed the microphone too.

Okay, this is gon' be a nice long speech...

   "I can't believe we have math first! I'm happy we have it together sha, cause I don't think I can stand all those horrifying letters and numbers tumbling my brain up and down!" Mary exclaimed as we walked through the hallways, towards math’s class.

Always the drama queen...

"Math isn't horrifying," I laughed at the choking faces she made.

"Yeah right, says the brainiac," she rolled her eyes as we got to the math’s block and I pushed the classroom door open.

Here we go...

"Just because math is easy for you and it doesn't look like Egyptian hieroglyphs to you doesn't mean it's the same for other people. Besides, it's not even supposed to be a compulsory subject!" She continued as we walked into the classroom.

"I don't know who the hell came up with a subject so frustrating and annoying and do you know the most annoying part? You have to pass it to be promoted, like who does that! It's so annoying that I have to study my ass out over just a single subject when I have tons of other important sub—"

"Thanks for joining us, Miss Akinlesi. How many times have I warned you to not talk and stroll into my class like you're going on an evening stroll with your boyfriend?" Mr. Okoro interrupted Mary's rant which I was glad for, but she was certainly in trouble now.

Ghen ghen...

"Sorry sir," Mary lowered her head as everyone's attention was now on her.

"Sorry for yourself. You're in ss3 now oh and you heard the principal this morning. Abi you didn't hear? Besides, the only person maths looks like Egyptian hieroglyphs to, is you."

Yeee!

"Please seat down and don't start any nuisance this early momo!" Mr. Okoro shouted and Mary sat down, a permanent frown on her face as I settled down beside her.

Mr. Okoro could be pretty blunt at times—almost too blunt.

I just sat down and didn't bother saying anything to Mary cause I knew she was boiling with rage and me trying to jeer her up would only anger her the more.

Simmer down hot sauce...

The class progressed slowly but steadily as we did revisions on the topics we covered last session, and we were in the middle of solving some questions on probability when the classroom door opened and Stephanie and her posse of idiots entered. Mr. Okoro didn't even say anything, because obviously, Stephanie's parents could get him fired if she so much as mentioned a word against him. He just shook his head and minded his business, leaving the idiots to continue ruining their lives.

The seats at the back of the class were known to be the special reservation center for the idiots and as they made their way past my row, I pulled my face away in disgust, but then I saw something. Okay, maybe I was just imagining things—like I always do. But I did see something…

the beginning of it all.

I saw Stephanie smile a small, discreet smile at Mary and she returned it. Okay yes it's confirmed! I'm crazy! Stephanie is our arch nemesis and why would Mary be smiling at her? It just doesn't make sense...yeah, I'm just imagining things...