Chapter 20- Black Orchid

XANDER'S POV

Wait a minute, where have I seen this flower before?

I keep clicking my fingers as I am mentally digging in my hippocampus, a part of our brain that mainly deals with long-term memories.

Just like in cartoons, a light bulb metaphorically pops on top of my head when I finally realized where I have seen it. It's in that painting in the administrator's office in the hospital.

Dr. Frank Morrison's office...

Wait, could it be possible? Or it just so happened that those two flowers look similar?

I am utterly astounded by Dr. Morrison's possible involvement in this. Come to look at it. Only medical personnel or someone who is working in the hospital has direct access to my office and put or install that micro spycam in the ultrasound machine without getting caught in the hospital's surveillance system outside my office.

A patient can also do that too. The nurse usually leaves them alone while they get dressed...

I stare at the picture again, zooming it in and out repetitively while remembering the details of the flower in the painting and comparing it to this tattoo version. Some things could be similar in some ways, as opposed to the saying that everyone and everything is remotely unique.

I'm not really sure though. Maybe they just look similar, like my wrong assumption with Kim's nose ring. But I don't want to waste any chances. I have to solve this mystery as soon as possible to see my Emily. I have to forget my studio plans for a while and focus on being a wannabe detective this time.

First, I have to confirm if that flower is indeed the same as the painting because only a fool will ignore the resemblance in life and death situations like this.

****

It's three in the morning when I finally got home. It feels really depressing when you're alone and knowing that the love of your life is in danger. Nothing sucks more than that. Aside from a massive headache, my stomach has been poking me for food for the past hour, and I feel like passing out if I won't fill it with something edible.

Remembering that I haven't eaten anything today, I decided to cook this stuff Emily bought before taking a nap. I have to take a rest to regain energy for tomorrow, I mean later.

I put the large grocery bag on the kitchen counter, fish out each item one by one, and place them on the countertop. I put all the stuff in the cupboard and fridge accordingly. I take out the ground beef from the freezer and decided to cook it for dinner, along with some carrots, onions, and chili.

The melancholic pressure in my chest keeps mounting in misery as I kept recollecting the last moments that I had with my kitten while I eat.

My surprise and gift on her graduation, those erotic events in the club, Amber kissing her, and then our passionate love-making when we were finally able to reach home...

My grip on my spoon and fork tightens as I thought about her look the morning after. My baby was looking so tired and wasted, and even though I was mad at her because of that fucking message from that Logan guy, I still prepared her food and a drink that can help her in her hangover.

I should have answered her calls, should have told her that it's okay, that I trust her and believe her...I should have come home right away and make it up to her.

Because of this fucking pride, I wasn't able to protect her like what I have promised myself.

This is the saddest dinner that I ever had, apart from the night my mother died. My stomach seems contended now and all I want to do is to sleep, even just for a few minutes.