CHAPTER THIRTEEN

ACE OF HEARTS
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: NEARLY KILLED

TAINTED LOVE BY SOFT CELL played through Cassie's record player as she tapped her pencil to the beat of the music

TAINTED LOVE BY SOFT CELL played through Cassie's record player as she tapped her pencil to the beat of the music. The buzzing of the walkie-talkie beside her caused Cassie to set her pencil down—her homework continuing to remain unfinished.

Pushing the button, Cassie muttered into the speaker, "Hello?"

"Hey, Cass," spoke Mike from the other end of the line. "Dustin and I are on our way to come get you. Over."

"Why?" asked Cassie, leaning back in her seat.

"You'll find out when we get there," spoke Dustin from the background. "Also, say over when you're done talking!"

Cassie giggled, "Oh, how mysterious of you. Over."

"See you in five," spoke Mike. "Over and out."

Setting down the radio device, Cassie threw on a jacket over her white top. As she raced down the stairs, she noticed her brother, Steve, angrily setting down a grocery bag. Tommy and Carol stood near him—the two smirking devilishly.

"What's up with you?" asked Cassie, causing Steve to look over at his sister.

Furrowing his brows, Steve spat, "None of your damn business, Cassie."

Cassie raised her arms up in defeat, "Hey, I was just asking. No need to be such a douche about it."

Pulling out multiple cans of red spray paint, the three teenagers broke into conversation. Tommy smirked, "Nancy won't know what's coming for her. Little slut deserves it."

Cassie turned to Tommy, confusion flashing in her eyes, as she walked up to the group, "Nancy Wheeler?"

"That's her," said Carol, twirling her hair with her pointer finger. "Steve caught her yesterday with Jonathan Byers in her bedroom."

"Shut up, Carol," Steve muttered. "She doesn't need to know because it doesn't concern her. Cassie, go play with your dolls or something."

Scoffing and crossing her arms, Cassie spat, "Steve, I'm twelve, not two."

"Whatever," said Steve, leaning back on the kitchen table. "I can't believe that freak was with Nancy. You think he forced her?"

"Maybe," smirked Carol. "I mean, if he killed his brother, he could just as easily take advantage of a teenage girl."

"Jonathan didn't kill his brother," Cassie argued, shooting Carol a hard glare. "He went missing."

"Believe what you want to believe," said Carol, smiling stupidly.

Steve then turned, aggressively grabbing the bag of spray paint and storming out the door—Carol and Tommy closely following.

Cassie rolled her eyes and made her way to the garage, where she would ran her bike and wait for her friends. 'So much for my caring brother' Cassie thought to herself.