Chapter Twenty-One

TANIA

Huehuecóyotl

Huehuecóyotl.

Of all the ancient gods to come after her, why him? Better yet, why couldn't they leave her alone? And how had he found her?

"Don't worry yourself little godling, I'm here to help." He said as if he could read her mind, his face, well Leo's, showing all the benevolence of a cat. Affectionate, with an aloof mystery that put to question his intent.

If any other god had said that, Nia would've been wary but willing to go on faith. From Huehuecóyotl, it was a declaration of trouble. While he was known as a lucky god, reality was far from that. In modern times he had evolved into Coyote, his persona different for each Native American tribe for his own reasons, in all he brought nothing but trouble even at his best.

In his ancient form he scared the living daylights out of her. From her studies she knew he was less tolerant, wilder, more manipulative and troublesome. Huehuecóyotl was more dangerous for all his charm and easygoing demeanor. He was also the reason weres had dual identities.

"Why?" She dared to ask.

The hairs at the back of Nia's head rose as she watched him step out of Leo, leaving her as slowed down as the rest of the watching pack. He smiled again, his youthful beauty mesmerizing. Everything about him was sensual, an offhand sensuality that was more appealing for being unconscious. It was as if he was a tribute to carnal delights, drawing out the lust in everyone around him.

His brown skin was luscious, obscenely healthy, with a glow that held something in common with hypnotic snake skin. Wide brown eyes displayed a duality of innocence and terrible ancient wisdom, a conflict that was echoed in his midnight hair that radiated light and yet seemed to be the absence of it. The absolute perfection of his face seemed benevolent and yet threatened to kindle obsession inside her.

Nia found herself shuffling towards Lex, utterly freaked out by the god. She didn't want to face any sexuality and Lex would protect her from it. He'd promised she wouldn't have to deal with it until she was ready.

"Well, you know what most don't," he replied stalking her as she inched towards her mate, an amused look telling her he was aware of what she was about. "I'm the god of all shifting canids, while I favor the coyotes and let Selene have near exclusive rights to your kind, you are still mine."

Nia threw caution to the wind. Since he knew what she was doing, there was no need for pretense. She was scared out of her mind, alone with a being whose name meant old old Coyote, because yeah he was that old when he ruled/toyed with/befriended the Aztecs.

'Please snap out of it.' She begged Lex as she touched the hand not lashing out.

Her touch was like a trigger, springing him forward from his slowed state, reanimating everyone else in the process. He reacted by swinging his attack towards her. Overwhelmed by the turn of events and maybe frozen by the echo of her experience with Jake, Nia couldn't react as she should to the attack.