-chapter sixteen-

johnny's pov

I haven't talked much to Kenzie after she started talking to Mark. Every time she's over, it seems like she's talking to him. Lauren even complained to me about how Kenzie seems preoccupied.

"Are they dating?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "I don't know. I hope not. I told Kenzie I didn't like him, but she likes him a lot."

I just shook my head.

"Do you like Kenzie?"

My head jerked up. "Huh?"

"Do you like Kenzie?" Lauren repeated.

I paused for a second before answering. "Yeah...I guess I do."

I finally admitted it to myself, and now it's too late. Lauren told me yesterday that Kenzie and Mark went on a date last night. That was quick, I thought to myself. I almost hate Mark, but I can't. It's not his fault that Kenzie fell head over heels in love with him.

I finished my first commercial shoot earlier, and now I'm just chilling in my room. Actually, I'm not chilling. I'm deep in thought about Kenzie and Mark. I don't think her fandom has caught on yet...though they probably will soon. They were shipping me and Kenzie at first, after we first met, with the hashtag #jenzie. I didn't mind. Soon, it would be plastered all over social media, haunting me with #markenzie. I can just see it already.

Mom's with Lauren, as usual, and Dad's still at work. It's getting late in the evening, and I'm getting hungry. Something I learned at the military, was that you should work out when you're hungry to build muscle. Your body doesn't have any food, so it feeds off of excess fat. I head downstairs and hydrate myself before starting my workout. Our weight room is right next to the front door, so I turn on the porch light, and then go in. The window shade iss open, so I close it slightly before getting on the bench press.

Sweat starts to build up as I add more weights to the press. I can't go too hard, because of my shoulder injury, but I try to push myself as hard as I can.

I miss the military. I miss the exertion, the comradrey, the adrenaline, the feeling of working for the freedom of your country...I press the weight one more time, and then shove it back up with a grunt.

Sure, I like acting, and I enjoyed shooting the commercial today, but it's not the same.

I pull off my sweaty shirt and start doing pushups on the floor. My shoulder's starting to strain again. If only Jacob hadn't deserted me with the rest of the troops. It all really is his fault.

kenzie's pov

I'm going on another date with Mark tonight, and I'm super excited. Mark makes me feel so special. I'm really happy that I met him. Thank God for Johnny. Speaking of, I haven't seen Johnny in a while. Lauren was telling me earlier that she was kind of sad because I was talking to Mark more than I was talking to her.

I sigh and look at my watch. I still have about 45 minutes till Mark comes, so I might as well go over and see Lauren.

Opening the front door, I call to Mom, "I'm going over to see Lauren. I'll be back in time for Mark."

"Okay, have fun!"

I shut the door and cross the lawn to the Orlando's house. The window next to their front door is the window to the weight room. I peer through the half closed blinds. Johnny's in there, working out. He's topless, and he looks really hot....err, temperature wise. What am I thinking? I'm dating Mark now. Just thinking about that sends excited shivers down my back.

Tentatively, nervous about seeing Lauren, I ring the doorbell. She doesn't come right away. Then the door clicks, and Johnny opens it. He still doesn't have a shirt on. My eyes sweep over his toned chest, and then my cheeks flush.

"O-oh, sorry, hey Kenz." He steps aside so I can come in and then closes the door behind me.

There's an awkward silence, then he says, "Lauren's not home, sorry."

"Oh. Hey, I'm going...out...tonight, so when you see Lauren, would you tell her I'm sorry I haven't been talking too much with her recently?"

He shrugs and then walks towards the kitchen. "I'll do that. Can I get you glass of water while you're here?"

"Uh, sure." I follow him in. Johnny wipes some sweat off his forehead and then runs his fingers through his hair.

"So...who are you going out with tonight?" He hands me a glass of ice water.

"...Mark." I reply awkwardly.

He nods. "Of course."

"He's your friend, right?" I sound like I'm trying to justify myself, and I don't know why.

"Mhmm."

"He's a really great guy, John."

Johnny shrugs and fills himself a glass of water. "I guess."

"You know how I was telling you one of my biggest fears is that my future boyfriend wouldn't really love me but would just want clout? Mark didn't even know I was on Where's Home." I nod and emphasize my words carefully. "I finally found someone who loves me for who I am, John."

"That's good..." He says uncertainly.

I sigh. "I thought you liked him."

He shrugs for the third time during this conversation. "Yeah..."

This conversation is getting to be really awkward. "S-o-o...I'm gonna go back. Make sure you tell Lauren for me, okay?"

Johnny nods and follows me back to the foyer. Then he ducks into the weight room and returns with his shirt on.

"Sorry," he explains awkwardly, "I was working out."

"I know...I saw you."

Blushing, Johnny turns to the door and starts to open it. "Kenz..."

Suddenly, he pushes me against the wall, his hands on either side of me, locking me in, and his lips go around mine. I don't try to stop him. His hands run up my body, and my hands to around his neck, then up to his hair, pulling him closer, and kissing him deeper.

Then my phone buzzes. He pulls apart, reluctantly and awkwardly.

"Sorry," Johnny whispers breathlessly.

I'm blushing wildly. Digging my hand into my pocket, I pull out my phone. It's Mark, saying he'll be there in 5 minutes.

"It's Mark, right?" He asks.

I nod, silently. "I shouldn't have...-"

Johnny cuts me off. "I know, I'm sorry."

I grasp the door knob and open it, letting myself out. I step onto the porch and look back at him.

"Bye, John."

I didn't mind the kiss. I don't really feel bad about it. But I don't know how to feel about it. I'm supposed to be with Mark, and that's that.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-