30: Nightmare

Mageia soaked in the silence of the room, bearing the heaviness of everyone's hearts

Mageia soaked in the silence of the room, bearing the heaviness of everyone's hearts. Lost in the horrid thought of their inevitable death, they all sat on their beds, waiting patiently for their time to run dry.

Don lay against his headrest, eyes shut, while he caressed his bandaged hand. Nabea braided one section of her long gray hair, lost in a daze. Rasni stuffed his face with another full plate of food, eyes occasionally scorning the guards across the room at the open door. Dana sat crisscrossed on her bed, lost in silent tears, as did Madeena, sniffling with her back to everyone, eyes glued on the open window. Sadon lay in his bed, shifting one way to the other in his own mental distress, causing the bed to creak and squeak.

Dean, her best friend in the world, continued to plague her mind. She prayed he either had a plan in motion to help her escape or dealt carefully with his grief. His short temper always humored her, but she knew he had probably gone insane by now. She hoped Liivel, Jaice, Faebrin, and the others had found a way to control and comfort him. If only she had one last moment to be with him and her family. The more she processed the reality of her situation, the more horrific the situation grew.

A deep musical hum arose from the distant sound of prisoners, musicians, and festive people beyond the room. It lured their attention to Don. The golden flames of the wall lantern above him seemed to dance about his brown skin. Mageia couldn't help but stare in awe. Not only did the gods bless him with his handsome features, but they also gave him what sounded like a beautiful musical voice.

"What are you humming?" Mageia asked when he was finished with his sorrowful tune.

"It's called When I Close My Eyes," Don replied. He opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling for a moment before catching her gaze. "My mother used to sing it to me when I was a boy ... whenever my sickness pained me the most. It's said to be an ancient prayer for mercy and joy."

"Sing it for us," Dana said, edging to the end of her bed and giving Don a sweet smile.

Seeing that no one rebutted against it, he nodded, and his face partially lit with joy at the opportunity to entertain and share something dear to him.

"Hmm. Hmm," he began to hum. Then he closed his eyes, and the beauty of the words left his lips.

When I close my eyes, have mercy on me.

When I close my eyes, I want to be free.

Though I face dark times, when I open my eyes

My dreams of beauty and love shall unwind.

When I close my eyes, everything will be okay.

I'll be new, so very new, for the rest of my days.

A wave of sorrow doused the silent room that Mageia sensed even the guards standing within the door could feel. Dana burst into tears, and the grandmother in Nabea rose from her bed to comfort her.