Chapter Thirty-Four - Fittings, Flirting and Fury

Diedrick smiled.

"I'm glad you're happy to see me."

I'm not.

"I thought you would be gone for a few days," I said gulping.

He waved his hand dismissively as he strolled closer to where I stood.

"My father and brother have been laid at rest, so I came back. There was no time to waste mourning."

I took a shallow breath.

"I'm sure Adam would have wanted you to tell him," I said. "He and Jace have just left for Utah."

Diedrick nodded.

"Yes, so I heard."

His eyes narrowed in on my hands.

"You're bleeding," he commented, walking over to where I stood.

I looked down to see that I had indeed been stuck by the pin in my hand, probably in fright after Diedrick scared me. I huffed and held my hand away from my body to ensure I didn't get any blood on the white dress.

Diedrick carefully took my hand in his and led me off of the platform. He instructed me to sit down on the high-back chair and I did so, warily.

He kneeled in front of me and took a handkerchief out of his pocket. Diedrick began to dab at the small drops of blood with the handkerchief, all the while I tried not to roll my eyes at the dramatic exaggeration. It was only a little blood.

"Keep some pressure on it," he said, putting my other hand over the wound.

I nodded and held my palm tightly. I saw Diedrick eye the ring on my left hand as I did so.

"Lovely diamond," he commented, leaning in to inspect it closer.

I felt my heart begin to race.

"Thank you."

My shallow breathing was an indication as to how it made me feel to have him so close to me. It felt wrong. I kept waiting for Adam to appear at the door, but he never did.

Diedrick came close to saying something but was interrupted by someone clearing their throat at the doorway.

I looked up to see Liu and sighed in relief.

"Am I interrupting?" She asked, glancing between Diedrick and myself.

My eyes widened as I shook my head fervently.

She must've seen the panicked look in my eyes, because she stepped into the room and eyed Diedrick warily.

"I need to speak with her, if you don't mind," she said to him.

He stood up and brushed off his knee, nodding curtly at her as he left the room.

"What was that all about?" She asked as soon as he was gone.

I groaned. "He won't leave me alone."

"When did he get back?" She asked. "I didn't think he was going to be back in the castle for a few more days."

"Just now," I replied. "I don't think Adam knew he was coming back today either, otherwise I have a feeling he wouldn't have left."

"Do you think he fancies you?"

"Adam seems to think so, and I'm inclined to believe him," I answered.

Liu spotted the diamond ring on my finger and gasped.

"Oh my God, It's gorgeous!" She said. "Jace told me Adam was going to propose, but I wondered what the ring would look like. This is so much better than anything I imagined."