Chapter 14: White Shirt

I haven't seen Connor today. I understand that it's Sunday, so perhaps the Lieutenant doesn't work, but I was expecting to see Connor, at least. I saw neither though. I just watched Deputy Lance sketch down ideas for a cover.

"I really wish I could just do a drug bust," He said. "But I don't think I can get a warrant on account of 'my android took drugs', Charlotte."

"Yeah...I don't think that'll work," I responded.

Lance looked at me, leaning back in his chair. "We could...just bust in. Guns blazing. I just don't think you want blood on your white shirt."

"I can get it dry cleaned," I responded.

Lance raised his eyebrows. "Uh...yeah. Or we could not kill people?"

"If things go haywire, I'm not wasting any time Lance. I'm not risking your life, let alone those of all the other patrons."

"Hot damn," Lance said, shocked. "You don't fuck around."

"I don't when it comes to lives. You can trust me, Lance," I responded.

"I can't tell if that just made you more human or more machine. You are a piece of work, yknow that?"

"Yes. I do," I answered.

Lance chuckled before looking over his notes again. "I think...the best course of action...is to go inside like we're patrons and then scope out where they're shipping out? We follow em and we arrest em. Easy."

Analyzing...

"That has a high chance of success. I agree."

"How high?"

"78%"

"And you're not just using the whole 'bedside manner' suggestion?"

"No."

Deputy Lance seemed nervous. "Are you scared, Lance?"

"No. Well...Yes...but no. I should go pick up Margot. I'm sure Christen is planning to...but...well...it doesnt matter. I'll see you. You stay here."

Lance stood up and left. I sat patiently, before feeling someone tap my shoulder. It was patient, meticulous, and done at perfect timing.

"Yes, Connor?" I asked turning around.

"Where is the Deputy?" He asked.

"He's running errands, Connor. Why do you need him?"

"I don't need him. I was just wondering why you were here alone."

He looked me up and down.

"You're in your uniform again."

"It was the first thing I did when I got back to the station."

He chuckled.

He chuckled? I didn't know comedy response was available on RK400...

"I would do the same thing," he answered. "I'm sure you already know about last night."

"No...I haven't downloaded your server since we connected."

"Why not?" Connor asked anxiously.

"It...seemed wrong. You were defensive over it. I...it...It simply wasn't viable to consistently violate your privacy."

"Oh..." Connor said weakly.

"Would you like me to?"

"No," he responded. He simply turned the skin off of his hand and forearm. Looking me in the eyes, he outstretched his palm.

I did the same, grasping his hand.

Connecting...

Processing...

I came to again, and looked at him. "Lieutenant Anderson...he pointed his gun at you."

"I had to come to terms with my futility on my own," he said, lowering his arm. He pulled down his sleeve.

"Connor...can I be honest with you?"

"Of course, Charlotte."

I took a deep breath. If this comes across the wrong way, Connor may mistake me for a deviant. I have to say it though. It's necessary.

"I don't want to be-be-be-be-be-be-"

I can't say it. I can't say what I want to say.

"Replaced," he said for me. "Why couldn't you say it?"

"I don't know."

"Well...if it's any comfort...I don't want to be replaced either."