Chapter 29

Happy Tuesday update everyone! Sorry it's late in the day, but it was my mom's birthday today so I had to wait to post :) Only like three chapters left.

This is a silly chapter because the last few were pretty serious, at least in my eyes so I hope you enjoy it...Happy reading!!!

*Sang*

It's happening.

It's finally happening.

I can't say that I'd expected this to happen quite so early in my life, but the truth is undeniable.

Oh my god, I'm dying!

"You're not dying."

Did I say that out loud?

"Yes, Doll, you did."

Leaning against the wall, I heave in great gulps of air before my legs give out and I sink to the mats. I don't care what he says, this is what dying feels like.

I'm too young to die.

"You're not dying."

"Oooh yes I am."

This great, heavy sounding sigh flows out of him before I hear him flop down next to me, breathing heavily but nowhere near the struggle I'm having. Bastard.

"Love you too, Doll."

"Sorry...Rapunzel...running broke...mouth...brain...filter." I'd be embarrassed about my gasping speech, but I got over that insecurity by about the third morning he'd joined me for my running. I'm training for a marathon, not to be the next Miss South Carolina.

My heart rate has calmed down enough that I no longer feel on the edge of death, and I open my eyes in time to see him scowl at the nickname I'd given him. "Would you stop calling me that?"

His plea brings an automatic smile to my face. "No. It suits you." Plus, how could I not call him that after he'd confessed to me a deep love of the Disney movie about the girl with the magic hair locked in a tower. Truthfully, he has a soft spot for all Disney films, and had been horrified to hear that I'd never seen a single one. To say that I'd been surprised to learn that the Academy leader with the piercing glare and intimidating stature could quote The Lion King verbatim would be the understatement of the century.

Then, when he'd explained that his family had abandoned him as a child to live on the streets, it was clear that he had to grow up too fast to play and watch T.V. Having a childhood was considered an indulgence, one he'd only been able to experience after being brought into the Academy.

I felt a certain kinship with him that day, and later when he'd snuggled with me while watching Cinderella, I'd felt more than friendship for the first time. That was also the day I had been the one to initiate physical contact with him when I'd tackled him in a hug so tight he'd been the one struggling to breathe.

Slowly but surely, we'd started working our way through the collection of films, and I'd nicknamed him Rapunzel for a few reasons. First, I'm half convinced his hair has some magical properties, all silky and long and a million times softer than mine could ever be. He takes care of it about as much as the princess in the movie too. Second, he'd had his childhood stolen and lives a life of adventure now just like she did. And lastly, I call him that because he secretly loves it.

Even if he pretends to hate it. "That's like, the least manly nickname in the world. I am a man, Sang!"

Glancing over at him, bare chested, with all his tanned muscled glory glistening with sweat, I feel my mouth go dry. "Trust me, Axel. I know you're a man."