Suicide and Despair in Islam

There comes a day in everyone's life when someone close to them tears the biggest peice of their heart away and leave them, leave them aching.

Certain moments in life leaves such a forceful impact that we are left feeling alone, feeling unloved nd unlovable nd feeling like this, that all this around us, doesn't matter, that lifes some joke and we are the fools and that God is sitting there watching us drown in our misery.

There are moments when we fail, but its not the failure that bothers us now is it? Its the feeling of disappointment which eats us up at our core.

Everything has a beginning and everything that begins comes to an end. Worries, sorrow, happiness and euphoria, everything ends and with it something new begins. SubhaanAllah.

With that in mind I'd like to discuss despair and suicide in regards to islam.

Instances of suicide or self-killing have been known throughout recorded history.  It was known and discussed in the ancient Greek and Roman civilisations; it has been noted in the Jewish and Christian faiths and is mentioned in the classical Hindu books.  Suicide or hara kiri is part of the ancient Japanese honour code and is noted in Asian cultures.  It is not something confined to Western civilisation and is even found in Muslim majority countries even though it is well known that it is something clearly prohibited in Islam. In the Quran there are sanctions against suicide.

“And do not kill yourselves.  Surely, God is Most Merciful to you.” (Quran 4:29)

“And do not throw yourselves in destruction.” (Quran 2:195)

The Quran makes it clear that human life is sacred.  Life cannot be taken without justification and the right to life is inherent in the tenants of Islam.  Life itself is a gift from the Creator that we are obliged to care for. Suicide out of despair of God’s mercy or worldly problems is strictly forbidden. 

Prophet Muhammad, may God praise him, said: Whoever kills himself with something in this world will be punished with it on the Day of Resurrection.[1]  It is a major sin and its punishment is subject to the will of God.  If He wills, He will forgive it, and if He wills He will punish for it.[2]

Life is an unending succession of moments. At the two extremes there are joyful moments that make our hearts soar and dark moments that plunge us into sadness and worry or even despair. 

Gladness and its opposite sadness are part of the human condition, however when we lose control over our emotions we can easily fall into despair. 

Despair is the feeling that we get when all hope has disappeared and it is a very dangerous situation. Allah tells us not to despair and particularly not to despair of His mercy. Allah has not abandoned us in face of the temptations and trials we face in this world, He is ever merciful and has equipped us with potent weapons. Allah, the Most Merciful, gives us clear guidelines and promises two things, if we worship Him and follow His guidance we will be rewarded with Paradise and that after hardship we will find ease.

“But those who believe and do deeds of righteousness, We shall admit them to the Gardens under which rivers flow (i.e., in Paradise), to dwell therein forever.  [It is] the promise of Allah, [which is] truth, and whose words can be truer than those of Allah.” (Quran 4:122)

“So verily, with hardship, there is ease.” (Quran 94:5)

When Prophet Jacob/Yaqoob was grieving and sad, he turned to Allah, and the Quran tells us that he beseeched God for relief.

“He said: ‘I only complain of my grief and sorrow to Allah...” (Quran 12:86)

Prophet Muhammad pbuh also said, “No misfortune or disease befalls a Muslim, no worry or grief or harm or distress – not even a thorn that pricks him – but Allah will expiate for some of his sins because of that.”[3]