Doubts

Well it was a rather slow day at Mt. Justice... actually it was more of a slow week.

No mission for four days and to say the team was getting restless was an understatement.

It was summer so the beach was always an option, close by in case of an emergency but they've already been there four times!

And even though it was mid-summer the temperature was only 73° and the water temperature was even less than that.

The only thing they had to do was spar and watch static. Fun summer.

Eventually they all had enough of that and decided to do some team bonding. Well, Connor actually preferred the 24/7 static show.

For awhile they played some board games and even charades (most of that time was spent trying to explain to Connor what charades were)

Board games can only last so long.

So they decided just to talk and, for whatever reason, the discussion lead to who would be the best leader if Kaldur ever stepped down.

Wally of course, was the first to volunteer.

"C'mon guys! I would make a great leader!"

No one seemed that convinced. Especially Kaldur, he seemed rather exasperated.

"Wally..." Kaldur spoke slowly, as if trying to carefully choose his words.

"What would your... strategy... be on a stealth mission?"

Wally swallowed mouthful of chex mix and said "Well duh! Charge right on in and surprise em'"

Kaldur deadpanned. Robin and the girls were trying miserably to hold in their laughter. Connor just shook his head with a small smile.

"Okay... next?" asked a smiling M'gann.

Everyone looked at Connor but he just shook his head.

"Well... what about me?"

Everyone looked at Robin, confusion on their faces while he remained serious.

"You? .... hahaha! Good joke Rob!"

Robin's eyebrows furrowed beneath his mask.

Why did Wally think he was joking?

"Uh... KF? I was serious..."

The rest of the team's faces turned stiff. The atmosphere was starting to tense up.

"Hahaha... oh uh... well Rob you just can't. I mean uh..."

Robin raised an eyebrow even though the others couldn't see.

"And why can't I?"

Wally looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He didn't know how to not make his answer sound horrible.

"Because... you're just a kid."

Uh, wrong answer.

"I. Am. Fifteen."

Wally started fidgeting with his fingers.

"Yeah but... you still act like a thirteen year-old. You just... need to grow up."

*smack*

"OW! Artemis what was that for?!"

Wally was rubbing the back of his head and glaring at the archer beside him.

"You know, you don't act much better Kid Idiot!"

Need to grow up huh?

Behind his mask, Dick's eyes have turned downcast. Still, he sent a silent thank-you to Artemis for the save.

"Hey I was just--"

Wally was interrupted by Robin quickly getting up and heading off towards the TV.

He spoke but didn't turn towards them as he kept walking.

"Who wants to watch a movie?"

They all looked at each other then each got up at once to go join him.

That rather akward incident was soon forgotten by everyone.

Except for one.

_______________________________________

Later that night, Robin was out in Gotham with Batman.

Patrol was going as usual, only minimal words were spoken. But that was normal because the Bird and the Bat knew each other well enough that words were not needed between them.

It was nearly 4:00am so patrol was almost over.

They were about to wrap it up when they heard gunshots in an alley close by.

Gunshots and an alley...

Robin looked over at Batman for a moment and saw his eyes narrow before he took off.

Robin sighed and shook his head. He jumped off the roof, landed on a firescape, jumped that and followed his mentor.

_______________________________________

Turns out the thug was just after a group of teenage girls purses.

Regardless of how he was feeling after Wally's... comment... earlier today he let loose his signature smirk.

Heh... they never learn.

As Batman was taking care of the crook, Robin was in charge of watching his back.

A job he took very seriously.

And it turns out that crook had a friend.

A glimpse of movement from the entry to the alley caught his eye.

As did a shimmer of metal.

*bang*

"Bats get down!"

Robin shoved Batman out of the way as the second crook started firing his gun aimlessly.

A bullet grazed Batman's shoulder as Robin pushed him away which caused a little blood to leak.

Which seriously ticked Robin off.

But what happened next made Batman well... fill in the blanks for yourself.

The second crook shot at Robin, right in the abdomen.

"Robin?!"

Bats immediately ran to his partner's side. Which provided the perfect distraction for an escape.

Batman saw the crook and his buddy make a run for it... but he didn't care.

His partner was bleeding from a bullet wound in an alley.

Why would he care about them?

Alright, I'm sure you all know where this is going. The canon reason as to why Robin left Batman in the first place to go to Jump City is because of what happens after he gets shot.

I'm just adding my own twist.

Until the next chapter!