13.

Dean Ramino stood at the front of the cafeteria hall.

Every single student was watching her in an ominous silence.

The Dean's voice was troubled, even scared, as she first explained what was going on. For once, nobody talked with their friends. Everybody's breath was held in anticipation as the bad news was delivered.

"Today," She began, "A troubling event occurred. As everyone here knows, Starsky Academy is a very well protected and fortified building. However, somehow, the Nursery, where new dragon eggs are cultivated, has been attacked."

There was a unanimous gasp shared between dragons and riders.

"Nine dragon eggs were taken. The two guarding dragons, Lucianna and Rosemary, were sadly killed protecting the eggs inside. We will forever remember them in our hearts." The dean wiped at her eyes quickly. "I have known those dragons since they were still eggs. Both Lucianna and Rosemary were courageous and loving individuals." 

I didn't even know what to do.

Dragons had been killed? Eggs stolen? The Nursery attacked?

Why? By who?

"But," The dean now raised her voice over the fearful murmuring of students.

"I can assure you that this will not happen again. We do not know who the attackers are, or their purpose for attacking in the first place. But we will be diligent. From now on, we are establishing a Youth Guard. Those students who excelled at melee and dragon combat both will be required to join the Guard. If I call your name now, stand with your dragon near me." Dean Ramino's voice echoed through the room.

Of the students in my year, five were called.

"Julian Dunkeld, Noah Montano, Lucinda York, Amber Starseer, and Lana Pennington."

I turned to Amber, whose blue eyes were staring at my green ones. Then I shrugged and jogged through the cafeteria to stand near the Dean. Everyone's eyes were on us.

Five were chosen from the second years, and ten from the third years.

"Students aside from the Youth Guard are not allowed to exit school grounds for any reason. Should you need to, come and speak to me. Now, make sure you all stay calm because everything is going to be just fine. We will figure this out, and we will put an end to this immediately." The Dean's voice was icy.

I scanned the faces in the crowd, trying to put a determined fire in my eyes. I looked over the students in my year, visualizing each of their faces in my mind. I knew now that it would be my duty as part of the Youth Guard to protect the school along with Avyn.

Wait.

Something was off.

No.

Something was missing.

I looked at everyone once more. 

It was the new kid, Aiden Blackwell. He wasn't here.

Come to think of it, he hadn't even been at the flying course.

What had he been doing?