Twenty-Three

« 23GONE »
~~~•~~~

~~~•~~~Talia stood with Luke as he called Alaric, calling the pack search off, seen as how they had found Hodge

~~~•~~~
Talia stood with Luke as he called Alaric, calling the pack search off, seen as how they had found Hodge.

She watched as Alec walked over to them and left Jace with Hodge.

"How's Hodge doing?" Luke asked him.

"He'll live," Alec replied, shoving his hands into the pockets in his leather jacket, "It's Jace I'm worried about, Valentine really messed with his head."

"What, at Renwick's?"

Talia suddenly let out a giant squeal as she jumped up onto Alec's back. He stumbled slightly as he responded to her action by hooking his arms under her legs before he turned his head to her with knitted brows as she stared at something on the ground with wide eyes.

Alec turned and looked to see a brown coloured duck waddling over to them. The dark haired man tilted his head at the girl on his back with a mocking look on his face whilst Luke stood beside them, chuckling at Talia's reaction.

"Are you seriously scared of that?" Alec asked, watching as she shifted her eyes to him.

Talia furrowed her eyebrows, "Yes, I hate ducks. Bloodthirsty little beasts."

"What the-?"

"It's a Herondale thing," Luke interrupted, a grin still resting on his face, "Her father disdained ducks too."

Alec gave him a weird look before turning back to see Talia resting her head on his neck, as though she were trying to hide from the ducks sight.

Talia waited until the duck had waddled away before sliding off of Alec's back as he watched her with an eyebrow raised. She flashed a toothy smile at him before returning to the conversation quickly to avoid further questioning on her fear of ducks.

Talia continued, "Yeah, he's been through a lot recently, I thought we had settled it, but something's killing him inside, I don't know what it is."

Luke shook his head slowly, "This is all too familiar, I saw a similar thing with Valentine eighteen years ago."

"Jace isn't Valentine," Alec said, the anger at Luke's allegation lacing his tone. Talia brushed his shoulder gently with hers and saw him visibly relax as he turned to her briefly before Luke responded.

"Not yet, we gotta keep an eye on him."

Alec nodded, "All right."

Luke then turned around, "Where'd they go?"

Talia furrowed her eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

She and Alec turned around, staring at a now empty area under the graffitied wall. Alec's eyes widened as he quickly stalked towards the wall, taking his phone out of his pocket as he went.