Chapter Thirty-Five - Rough

Unknown P.O.V.

"This wasn't part of the deal," he snarled.

The woman's eyebrow rose as she looked on at the two men arguing.

"My demands have changed," the second man said, crossing his arms. "If I get what I want, I will give you access to the castle. If you can't make that work, you can find someone else."

The first man growled.

"Do you realize what this means we have to do? What we'll have to risk to get you what you want?"

"Of course I do."

The woman stood to her feet as she saw patience running thin between the two men.

"We'll do it. But we want inside that castle sooner than next month, or no deal," she bargained.

A smirk rose on the face of the second man.

"Done."

- - -

Evelyn's P.O.V.

"I don't want to look at them."

I sat on the bed, pulling my knees in tight against my chest.

Liu took the vase of flowers and put them in the bathroom, closing the door as she left them on top of the vanity.

I could see outside the open bedroom door as five burly men picked up the lifeless body of the guard. They began to clean the blood from the floor and the smell of bleach burned the inside of my nostrils.

It was the second time in my entire life that I had seen a dead body and it happened to be the second time in one week as well.

Although one of the men had affirmed that the guard was dead and had been for a few minutes before I opened the door, he told me that only Dr. Zusak would be able to confirm exactly how he had died. Until then, I was left wondering if it had been a Vampire's bite, although I didn't see any wounds on his body. The only source of blood had been from his mouth.

Vega rubbed a hand on my back assuringly as she sat beside me on the bed.

Liu went over to the door and closed it so I could no longer see the clean-up.

It was late, almost midnight to be exact. After Adam was able to calm me down and call someone, several people arrived up at the room to see what had happened. They had taken pictures, tried to pull fingerprints off the flower vase, even going as far as to interview people who had been on the hall that evening.

No one had seen anything, but someone was able to confirm that Diedrick had been eating by himself in the dining room when the guard was killed.

Knowing this made my stomach churn. I couldn't imagine who would have killed the guard, but Diedrick would have been at the top of my list of suspects if I thought about it hard enough.

The thought of some unknown person killing another merely feet away from where I stood made me sick.

"I feel terrible," I said to them both. "I'm so sorry for waking you two up, but I just couldn't stay by myself."