BAD TIMING

John^^

She coughs as the wind betrays her and blows the dust on her face. She turns around  away from the hanged sheets and covers her face with her arm. It's way too windy to be doing this kind of job but that's not an acceptable excuse for the head. She continues smacking the sheet to let out the dust. She looks up and catches someone staring at her. John, the blond boy. He looks down after she catches him staring. She goes back to her work but she glances at him from time to time. He's been standing there for a while now. He looks like he wants to talk to her but isn't sure he actually wants to do so. She glances at him again and meets his eyes. Without even thinking she smiles softly at him. He looks down then starts heading towards her. She hangs another sheet on the line as he walks closer. 

"uh...hi..." he says, standing a couple of feet away from her. She looks at him over the clothing line. 

"hello" she replies, smiling. He looks awkward, shy. 

"who are you?" he asks, looking down at the ground. 

she frowns at his question "my name is Bluebell" she says "and I work at the medical institut-"

"you're the one who cut in between" he says 

she sighs "yes that was me" 

"why?" he asks "why would you do that?"

she shrugs "It looked like it was getting out of hand"

"so?" he says forcefully, looking at the ground. 

"so" she says "one of you could have gotten badly injured"

"you mean me?" he asks, looking up at her then looking down again "you think I can't fight? that I need saving?"

she blinks at him "It wasn't like that" she says "I just saw that he was kicking you while you were down and it didn't seem fair"

"I can take care of myself" he snaps "I don't need the help of a nurse

He says the word nurse like it's an insult but Bell doesn't take it personally. Instead, she says "I'm sorry" 

He looks up at her from the ground, taken off guard by the sincere apology. Then he clears his throat and says "whatever" he turns to walk away when she says;

"I didn't mean to upset you John" 

he freezes then slowly turns around. 

"how do you know my name?" 

Bell doesn't even remember how she knew his name, she just does. Probably heard it somewhere. 

"I heard it around" she says "I wouldn't jump in front of a man without knowing his name now would I?" 

She smiles at him and his anger fades from his face. He looks uncertain, cautious. 

she goes back to the sheets and says "wanna help?" 

he shuffles around, looking uncomfortable. 

"oh right" she says "not a job for a man is it?" 

"more like not a job for a knight" he replies back 

she almost slaps herself for suggesting it. 

"you're absolutely right" she says "you have better things to do" 

"I suppose I can help for a little bit" he says softly and Bell looks up, surprised. 

"no you don't have too really-"

he walks closer and says "what do I do?" 

She just stares at his genuine want to help. Almost makes her forget the fact that he used her help as a distraction to attack the other guy. Almost.