Chapter 38

In the living room, the little boy wasn't wearing any socks or shoes, his small white feet were pulled up on the chair with his knees brought up to his chest. A stuffed lion was squished in his embrace as his dark eyes stared at the cellphone in his hand intensely, as though it were his worst enemy; this was what Samuel saw when he entered the living room followed by a maid carrying a pair of little socks and shoes.

He was momentarily stunned before he called out, "Young Master."

"Gghh!"

Suddenly being called out of nowhere, Zac jumped, his purple pupils contracting in a ring of bright violet and he squeezed the stuffed lion in his embrace until it squeaked.

"U- uncle." Zac looked up at Samuel.

"Is everything alright? It's almost time to leave."

"I- I'm fine." Quickly powering down the screen and shoving the cellphone into his pocket, Zac blushed slightly in embarrassment.

Samuel watched him and didn't say anything more, only instructing the maid to help the Little Master wear his socks and shoes.

"Excuse me, Young Master."

Although Samuel would call Zac 'Little Master' and call Archer and Trooper 'First and Second Young Master', the other staff of the house wouldn't dare to do so. Perhaps when the old Master of house, Steve Ryan, had been alive, Trooper and Archer were still the 'Young Masters' and Zac was the 'Little Master', but that had changed with his passing.

Trooper and Archer were now the rightful 'Masters' of the main house and Zac was the sole 'Young Master', the only reason that Samuel could continue to call them as such was because of the relationship he shared with them, others wouldn't dare to be so presumptuous.

Kneeling before the chair, the woman wanted to help Zac, but the little boy drew back his feet, his small pink toes curling tightly.

"I- I can do it myself."

He wasn't little anymore. Such things, he should do them himself instead of letting others help him all the time or he would only be a burden.

Towards his Little Master's desire for independence, Samuel was helpless. He didn't want the little boy to grow up too fast but it wasn't particularly a bad thing that Zac wanted to grow up; as long as he did not pursue the wrong things, then as the sole heir to the inheritance of two great families, early maturity could only be considered a good thing.

After Zac wore his shoes, it was time for them to leave.

Because of the constant raving and nagging, today, Zac was to spend the day at his maternal family's house, Samuel was against it.

Not only was it because he was not particularly fond of the old bones over there who kept on pushing the topic of marriage onto his Master[1] and threatening to take the Little Master away, he had noticed that the Little Master was also not particularly fond of his maternal family, though he didn't know the reason and Zac refused to talk about it, but Samuel's heart held a premonition.

(A/N: [1] From now on, when Uncle Sam mentions 'Master' it will be referring to Archer.)

In the car, the little boy sat obediently in his spot at the far side of the seat, his seatbelt strapped on and his head lay against the back of the seat as he stared at the scenery moving outside the window. His fingers were picking at the fluffy mane of the stuffed lion in his embrace, his young face expressionless and rigid, reminding Samuel of Archer when he was in one of his more awkward moods.

Samuel could only sigh as he lowered his head to the iPad in his hands to deal with some official matters. For the next hour or so, the car was silent save for the iPad's media audio that sounded as Samuel typed away on the screen.