Chapter Twenty-Four: Part One

"Where are we?" Gwen released Forneus's arm and looked around.

None of their surroundings were the least bit familiar. As far as she could tell, they were on some sort of suburban boulevard. The old-fashioned Victorian houses seemed to be staring down at her with their large rectangular windows, fitted beneath peaked roofs that created the appearance of dark, brooding eyebrows. Only the faintest glimmer of light glanced off the window panes, coming from a solitary streetlight on the far corner.

"London, England," Forneus replied, appearing somewhat distracted. "If Phenex and I hadn't been here just ten days ago, I might not have made the connection."

Gwen frowned. Connection? Then; "Wait—how come you guys were here ten days ago? I'm pretty sure you didn't tell me anything about it."

He looked guiltily back at her. "That's because we didn't. I owe you an apology, Gwen. When we told you we had a council meeting to attend that day, we weren't entirely truthful."

Whatever frustration she might have felt over him hiding things from her evaporated at the look of contrition on his face. Gwen took a deep breath, exhaling through her nose. "Okay, so...why were you here?"

Forneus launched into a quick explanation of how he and Phenex had met with an informant by the name of Athian, looking for leads. Not only on what Reeves and company were up to, but who they answered to, how large their army was, what they knew about the artifacts, what other enemy factions existed and how large—amongst other things.

Gwen was curious as to what those other things might be, but refrained from asking. Forneus seemed distracted enough as it was, glancing up and down the street as though expecting Reeves or one of his monsters to jump out from behind the row of houses.

For all Gwen knew, they just might.

Not a very comforting thought, she mused, casting a wary glance over her shoulder.

"Before we left the council chamber, I overheard one of the commanders talking. The First Unit received reports of a wounded Bajang requiring medical assistance...which just so happens to be what Athian is." Forneus went on, lowering his voice to a whisper, "However, when they put out the call to Phenex, they couldn't reach him. It wasn't until the council received Iris's message that they realized what had happened."

The two of them had begun walking, moving farther from the towering houses and towards a deserted side street. There were only three houses here, all in varying stages of disrepair. A large, vacant lot sat behind them, a For Sale sign sticking out of the ground at an odd angle, creaking as it swayed back and forth in the evening breeze.

"Do you think it was a trap?"

Forneus sighed. "I can't be sure. The First Unit's report stated that when they reached the location where the Bajang was rumoured to be, he was gone. There were signs of a struggle and ashes scattered about, but nothing else. If it was Athian, there's a good chance Reeves caught wind of his dealings with us, and decided to use him as bait. Phenex must have seen the report, and got caught himself while trying to rescue him—which, if the ashes are anything to go by, resulted in failure."

If he'd intended to say more, Gwen didn't get to hear it. Forneus stopped suddenly, holding an arm out in front of her as he scanned from one side of the street to the other, his gaze lingering on a grouping of young maple trees.

"Gwen, get behind me!"

She didn't need telling twice. No sooner had the words left Forneus's mouth did a loud, cracking sound rend the air, the space in front of the trees rippling like water. Gwen didn't have time to figure out just what it was she was seeing before it exploded outward in a shower of white sparks, dazzling her vision.