Chapter 28

Connor's POV

I was with her the rest of the day. She would go back to work tomorrow. We hadn't gotten any reports recently, so luckily it was okay for me to pay more attention to her than the case. It had calmed down for now at least.

There was something wrong though. While she seemed better, I could tell she was still...distracted. I wanted to know what was going on in her head. Humans were a lot more complicated than I had anticipated. 

Objective: Find out what's wrong

She was out by the pool having some soda. I could already tell she had a sweet tooth. It was clear by most of what she made for herself. I sat down next to her. Her gave was locked on the water. I doubted she had even realized I had sat down next to her. She seemed to lost in thought to notice anything.

"(Y/n)?" She blinked, coming out of her thoughts. She looked over at me.

"Oh, Connor. Sorry I was just thinking about something." She said.

"You had been staring at the water for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. You seem distracted. Is something wrong?" I asked. 

"It's nothing Connor." She replied. I grabbed her hand gently.

"I wish to help." I said. She smiled a little.

"It's just....I promised that we'd stay together." She said. I instantly knew what this was about. "I failed them Connor... I let my brothers die..." She said, grief in her voice and gaze. I held her hand tighter.

"It was not you're fault they did not escape the building. You were not the one who caused the fire." I said.

"But who caused the fire isn't responsible for my own actions. I'm the one that should've tried to help them instead of run away. I could've done something, but....I didn't." She said.

"But that's not true." I said. "While you might not have been able to help them, you did try. You risked your life trying to save them. I'm sure if they were here they wouldn't blame you for what happened. Zane and Carl don't blame you. Neither does Scarlett or (F/n). They know you tried. Having that kind of courage is something that should be considered impressive in itself. You are still human, (Y/n). Even androids like myself can't do everything. I have failed some of my missions so far. I know I can solve this case, but that doesn't mean I won't have struggles." She stared at me. She smiled, tears forming in her eyes. She hugged me.

"T-thank you. I-I know it's gonna be different without them...but at least now I have you." She said. I hugged her back. "I can make them proud." I smiled.

"I have no doubts." I told her.

Mission: Success

"Connor?"

"Yes (Y/n)?" 

"I'm not complaining, but there's something I don't understand." 

"What is that?" I asked.

"If the most important thing is the investigation, how can you have time for me?" She asked. I smiled.

"Because, I can make time. We're in the investigation together anyway." I said. She smiled. 

"Yeah, I guess you're right." She replied. We stayed there together and she enjoyed the rest of her drink. I smiled. It felt better being with her. 

Zane's POV

I saw them sitting together. I didn't know how to feel about this. It was clear that they were closer now. I trusted Connor, but I didn't trust Cyberlife. I didn't want anybody to know, but I was for the deviants. I'd get fired if anyone knew. I had to keep it a secret. 

I left them be and I went to my room. I breathed in and out. I sat down on the floor on my mat I had gotten. I sat with my legs bent and feet together. I closed my eyes and put my hands together. I breathed in and out, slowing down my body. I cleared my mind and I sat there in silence. Meditation, it was something I did often to calm myself and clear my head. 

It didn't last long. My phone started ringing. It brought me back to the present. I opened my eyes and sighed. I stood up and walked over to my nightstand. I picked it up and answered.

"Zane (L/n) here." I said.

"Hey Zane. Didn't think you'd be hearing my voice I bet." I stopped.

"You can't fool me. I knew you were around. Now the question is, where are you now?" I asked.

"Can't say I'm afraid. Everything has calmed down now though. Sorry we can't come over."

"Why not?"

"Secret's out man. Wouldn't want anything happening to (Y/n) now would we?" I sighed.

"I understand. Got any plans?"

"Yeah. You see we have this other new guy with us too. He's quite a wishful thinker."

"What's he planning?"

"Something dangerous. Bet ya can understand what I'm doin' next."

"Better not get yourself killed before we find you." I teased.

"Me? Killed? No way man." 

"What about our...friends?" I grumbled.

"We're cool. Nothin' to worry about."

"And our last person?" I asked.

"He's fine too. Gotta go Zane. See ya around, ay?" I chuckled.

"Don't die out there. Wouldn't want to disappoint my sister."

"Heheheh. Don't plan on it. See ya soon...if you're lucky enough to find us."

"Oh trust me, I'll go get Nova right now." I replied.

"Oh boy! I wouldn't like that. Don't want the cops following ya." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, I know. See you soon, hopefully." I said.

"I got no doubts man. Later."

"Be careful out there."

"Me? Careful? I must've been gone longer than I thought." He joked. 

"Seriously, be careful."

"Trust me. I got this. We've done worse, remember?" I chuckled.

"How could I forget? I'll see you soon."

"See ya soon." I hung up. I sighed. Things were about to get a whole lot more complicated. I can only hope she's ready.